She walks alone

She walks alone. A voice calls to her in the back of her consciousness. Now her legs are moving faster then they ever have in her lifetime. Her hair brushing past her ageing skin. It's cold, her body is always cold. But it is a mid-summers afternoon, but all she sees is the sun and water contrasting through the colours she passes. At the touch of a fingertip, she disappears. Into a world too far to call home. I am told it's all a dream, an innocent, honest illusion. Although I picture that calming warmth, that spark of freshness rushing past my nose every time I seem to close my eyes. It's not just a feeling, it's really here wrapping it's comfortable arms around me to cradle and protect. It's destined. She's brought back to the doctors office, where her mother works with a slap of disapproval across the floor of elderly women and men, turning their backs to her. Her mother is no where to be found. "Why?...Bu...But what" she manages to scream. Her life is swept under her. An hour goes by, two hours migrates to two and a half of just silently standing there totally aware of the sudden acclaimed death of her mother. She is warned she will be questioned, but never asked if she is okay. She is preached upon as the young women whose a foster child, because her mother's dark side of medications took over. She draws to keep contained, she draws quite frequently, to the extent of no more room left on her page. She hides her drawings under long sleeves and bandages. No one will ever suspect a thing she tells herself. Yet it's not to long until her teacher asks her to stay behind in class. Now the secret is kept between two. "You need to seek help" Mr Bageque demands in a worried tone. She finally admits to her fosters, her friends, and the school how she feels through the lift of a sleeve. She no longer draws, she no longer keeps her problems inside. She is a healthy grad student with the rest of her life ahead of her. Her mother would be proud of the young daughter she knew used to dream away.