Chapter 1: Prologue

Clarke Griffin hadn't set an alarm clock in weeks.

Clarke woke up to soft, plump lips pressing against her cheek, then grazing her jawline, kisses fluttering along the side of her neck. Her breathing picked up with each press of those lips, feeling familiar arms pull her closer. She could almost see what was happening in the room without even opening her eyes. The sunlight would be filtering in through the curtains, right about now. The birds would be singing, if she actually tuned in to the world outside of her dreams. Alexandria Anastasia Woods would be pressed up against her, gently caressing her awake, golden strands alight from the sun in her brunette waves.

Sometimes, rarely enough, it actually did pay to be an artist.

Not in the form of money, unfortunately, but in the form of her mind's eye, with perfect 20/20 vision. She could conjure gorgeous imagery without ever having to open her eyes.

But, oh, looking at her girlfriend was what got her going in the mornings.

"Clarke." Lexa rolled her name off her tongue in that curious way that only Lexa could do, the way that made Clarke's toes curl and her spine tingle. The whisper was warm, soft, and oh so enticing. Lexa was calling to her like a siren.

"Mmmm." Clarke grumbled, turning her face to bury it into Lexa's chest.

"Time to wake up." Lexa nuzzled her neck with the tip of her nose, tickling Clarke slightly.

Clarke's eyes flew open in surprise and she leaned back, glancing up at Lexa.

She was spot on, with her vision. Lexa was wearing some old band tee of Clarke's, her brunette mane tousled from the slumber she'd just emerged from.

Clarke always thought it odd that Lexa always woke up at seven a.m. sharp. It was her weird internal body clock, both a curse on the weekends, and a blessing on the weekdays.

She offered to wake Clarke up, rather than the harsh buzzing and blaring of her phone alarm, and who was Clarke to refuse such a divine offer?

"Good morning, Clarke." Lexa greeted softly, a smile gracing her features. It wasn't something that ever really got old-waking up next to Clarke. It was something she cherished endlessly, something she couldn't ever really believe. Lexa was seen as the goddess-like football star, the rich heiress, physical perfection- but the truth was far colder. Clarke saw her for the broken girl she was, with the absence of familial support marring her childhood. She always lived in the quiet fear of abandonment, and Clarke- being her closest friend and lover, was the one she feared losing most. So, waking up beside her every morning was a quiet, soothing sort of amelioration to the fear. It reminded her that Clarke longed to be nowhere else. Clarke loved her, and chose her. That was a concept Lexa would never, ever take for granted.

"What are you thinking about, pretty girl?" Clarke asked, when she noticed that Lexa was lost in a smile and a dreamy gaze, forgetting to answer her.

"You." Lexa replied honestly, smirking when Clarke's fingers appreciatively traced her bicep.

"Why don't you tell me about it?" Clarke batted her eyelashes flirtatiously, earning a soft kiss on her forehead.

"I would, but in case you forgot, today is the first day of classes. No time." Lexa announced, clearing her throat as she slipped out of bed.

"Oh. Right." Clarke groaned.

"What, you're not excited to put that art scholarship to work?" Lexa challenged.

"I kind of enjoyed our summer routine of lazy days and hot nights. In more ways than one." Clarke shrugged, flopping back onto her pillow.

"Might I entice you with a hot shower?" Lexa asked craftily.