Chapter One || Just Another Morning

Shoto had awoken earlier than anyone in else in the dorms that morning. He sat up in his bed and yawned whilst reaching for his phone. He rubbed his eyes while waiting for it to power up after he clicked the button. The phone which had the lock screen set to a picture of all his friends and he read 'five-fifteen.' He put the phone down and began yawning again whilst rubbing his sleepy eyes as well. He then tossed the blankets aside and stood up, a rush of cold air hitting his shirtless body, causing his nipples to peak.

He looked out the window as raindrops kept dripping down the glass. 'Rain.' He thought to himself. Not particularly his favorite type of weather but didn't hate it either. Going over to his drawers, he pulled one open and began taking out his uniform. As the minutes passed by, he also started packing his school bag, making sure he had everything. Finally clothed, Shoto pulled the bag over his shoulder and grabbed his hero license while walking out the door. He heard the light snoring of his fellow classmates as he made his way downstairs to the washrooms.

The halls of Heights Alliance were very quiet, but this is a gift only Shoto got to enjoy. Seeing that he has been waking up early everyday for a long time, Shoto has been able to enjoy the silence of the dorm building. Finally outside the washroom, he put the hero license in his bag and left the bag outside. He grabbed his toothbrush and brushed for about a minute. He also splashed some water on his face and over his scar. The dual-haired teen walked back out of the washroom and picked up his bag once more. Walking closer to the front door, he grabbed his hoodie on his way out, slipping it on as the door closed behind him.

He scrolled through his phone while he walked. The sidewalks were mostly empty, besides the adults heading into work at this hour. Some gave him a glance before doing a double take as they realized who he was. Yes, the teen may have been Endeavor's son, or as the old man calls him "his finest creation", he didn't want to be recognized as that man's son. Every time someone mentions his father and that they wouldn't expect less from the #2 hero's son, or anything along those lines really, Izuku's words echo through his head: "ITS YOURS! YOUR QUIRK NOT HIS!" Those words Midoriya shouted during the sports festival stayed with him ever since. Shoto heard the whispers and the murmurs as he walked on. Reminding himself of Midoriya's words, a slight smile developed as he got closer to his destination.

"Ah, nice to see you again Shoto. How are you doing?" The woman at the front desk asked. Even though she did just see the teen yesterday. "Fine. Is she awake?" He asked, taking the hood off his head, revealing the boy's white & red hair. "Yes. She may be taking some medication at the moment. But I'm sure by the time you get up there she'll be fine." The woman said as she wrote down his name on the visitors sticker. He took the sticker and waved goodbye to the woman as he walked down the halls. In a matter of two minutes, he was outside the room. Taking a breath, he knocked on the door as he stuck the visitors sticker onto his chest. The door opened to reveal none other than Shoto's mother, Rei. "Shoto!" She said as she pulled him into a hug, causing the boy to stiffen slightly before calming down and hugging his loving mother back. As Shoto followed his mother into the room, he saw that she had made...tea.

He stopped and stared at the kettle that was sitting on an oven mitt on the table she had set up next to her bed. Rei took his hand and led him to sit down in the chair she had set up on the opposite end of the table. "So Shoto sweetie, how was school yesterday? Anything new?" No response. She tilted her head slightly in confusion. She took his hand and shook it a little. "Shoto? Sweetie? Are you alright?" She asked, now starting to get a bit concerned. What she didn't know is that flashback were flooding through his head. Shoto's head was spinning with memories of that traumatic experience from when he was young.

He felt as if he was his young self again, walking into the kitchen to hear some words he didn't understand at the time. "I feel like I'm going crazy..I can't take it anymore..everyday, the children seem more like him..! And Shoto..that child's left side sometimes looks unbearable to me..! All I can see is his father..!" Rei was in the kitchen making tea, standing by the kettle, talking to her mother on the phone. She continued as Shoto stood in the doorway listening in to his mother's conversation. "I can't raise him anymore! I want to run away from this life..an—" "..Mom..? What're you saying?" He asked while rubbing his eyelids as he clutched the doorway in his tiny hands. She lifted the phone from her ear as she took a sharp breath, the kettle starting to whistle. She was shaking violently as she slowly turned back to look at her son, all common sense lost and insanity filling her eyes. Rei closed her phone and pulled Shoto by his arm towards her. "Mom you're hurting me..!" He semi-shouted. She quickly grabbed the kettle filled with burning-hot water in one hand and held her son's wrist in the other. "Mom what're you—" He cut himself off as he began shrieking in pain as the boiling water poured down his face. He tried pushing Rei off, but his strength was no match for his mother's, seeing as she is an adult and he a child.

  "SHOTO!" Rei screamed to bring her son back to reality. He shook his head a bit, confused. She had fear in her eyes while she held his hands tightly. He realized that he had been sweating slightly and he was shaking violently. Rei's voice cracked as she spoke. "W-What happened? You spaced out for a long time..you started mumbling things and then you started sweating..an-an-an-and shaking! I didn't know what to do, I thought you were about to have a seizure or something—" He squeezed her hands and smiled reassuringly. "Mom, I just thought of something that happened a long time ago..don't worry, I'm completely fine. See?" He put her hand on his forehead. "I don't feel sick do I? I'm not acting it either, I'm fine." She sat for a few seconds until it clicked. The tea kettle and her together in the same room. She got up and picked up the kettle, putting it away immediately. She hugged Shoto and started whispering apologies non-stop. The dual-haired teen knew that his mother wouldn't do that again to him, but it was a not-so-pleasant surprise to see a tea kettle waiting for him in a room that only contained himself and his mother.

After they both had calmed down, the two family members started talking. Shoto filled in his mom on what happened at U.A, but he was very excited to show her something. He took her hand in his and smiled while reaching the other into his bag. "I just got it yesterday in the mail, but I really wanted to show you. Close your eyes for a second, please?" The dual-haired teen asked his white-haired mother. She hesitated for a moment, but then closed her eyes. Shoto took out the piece of shiny plastic and placed it on the table in front of his mother. He chuckled and then smiled. "You can open them now, Mom." He said. She opened her eyes to see her son's fresh new hero license. A smile began to form on her face, wider and wider. Rei was silent as was Shoto as well. She began to reach for it, but looked up to her son in approval first to see if she was allowed. Shoto nodded. The proud mother lifted up the plastic and turned it over in her hands. She then saw her son's hero name on it. She giggled slightly. Shoto tilted his head in confusion. "Is there something wrong with it?" He asked, now trying to look at it. She giggled more. "I think they put your name in the hero name section, sweetie." Rei turned the plastic towards her son and he read the name: Shoto. He smiled slightly. "I didn't want anything extravagant. So, I just used my name." He said while rubbing the back of his head awkwardly. Rei then put down the license and apologized. "I'm sorry sweetie if my comment made you feel bad, I honestly like Shoto as your hero name. It's simple and sweet..!" She said with a smile.

The two continued to talk for a long time, until Shoto glanced towards the clock in his mother's room. It read 'six-forty five AM'. He was supposed to leave at six-thirty. Quickly packed up his things while finishing his conversation with Rei. "I'm sorry mom I was supposed to be on my way back to U.A a little while ago, I'll be leaving now..!" He said as he kissed her forehead and started walking out the door. "I love you Shoto!" Rei said as she started closing the door. He smiled and shouted "I love you too!" As the dual-haired teen sprinted down the halls of the psych ward.