Prologue

Hello everyone! I have just finished Kingdom Hearts III, and boy do I have some things that need to be written while Kingdom Hearts IV is still being thought up and I'm left crying my eyes out...Anywho, as a precaution, I will note, as I have in my summary that this fan fiction is set AFTER the events of Kingdom Hearts III. I highly dis-advise reading further if you have not played the other games up to Kingdom Hearts III. For those of you who have played the game, this will be a bit of a refresher. The dialogue comes straight out of the game, so rights for it go to Tetsuya Nomura and Co. There is no way that I can stress this enough: much of the content here does come from the game, so it is not my work. Okay, now that  that's over and said, I will also note that this is written in lieu of Kingdom Hearts IV, so all of the plot (except the beginning and ending) come from my own depressed brain as Sora once again sets off to save Kairi. With that in mind, I hope you enjoy.

Sora's P.O.V.

     We had won. That's how I was supposed to feel. We had defeated Xehanort and saved Kingdom Hearts from falling into darkness, but I knew that I had lost. Young Xehanort had told me so many times that there would be a price to pay, and I could feel it down to my core. The power of waking was a dangerous gift; I knew that now, but that wouldn't stop me. I had to save her. I would saver her if it was the last thing I did.

     "It's finally over," I could hear the King's relief.

     I heard the grunt of confirmation from the others, but I couldn't accept victory, "No."

    "We'll find Kairi. Let's head back to Master Yen Sid. We can figure it out," Riku assured me.

    I knew that we could, that everyone would be on board to join me if we did re-group, but I couldn't let that happen, and I couldn't let anyone else suffer the fate to which I was bound. I was the perfect candidate, "No, I know what to do."

    "Sora," King Mickey spoke in horrified surprise.

    "My whole journey began the day I lost her," I told the others, "and every time I find her...she slips away again. I thought we'd finally be together, but she's out there, alone."

    I was the perfect sacrifice, and I was determined to save her, "Not for one more second."

    "We'll go too," Donald assured me. Goofy was quick to follow, "That's right."

    I couldn't help but smile at my two close friends who always had my back, "Thank you, Donald, Goofy, but this time I have to go it alone."

     "Sora, listen. The power of waking isn't to go chase hearts around! Even if you do locate Kairi, you might never come home to us again."

     Of course I wanted to stay, of course I wanted to come back to them, but I had a huge risk, an eminent doom of which effects I was uncertain, but I had to believe for them if not for myself. That was the hard part, believing in myself more than the others did, more than I did. I smiled lightly to raise my hopes, " I will, and we'll both  be back before you know it.

    "Please..." King Mickey pleaded.

    I saw the realization dawn on Riku. He came over and knelt next to the King, "Let him go, Mickey."

     "Riku..." the King asked uncertainly.

     Riku looked at me. He sensed my determination, "His heart and mind are made up. Now believe in him."

    I nodded.

     King Mickey looked uncertainly at me, "Yeah...safe journey, Sora."

    "Thank you."

     I turned and held my key to the sky and opened the Keyblade Graveyard's sleeping memories. Before I disappeared, I turned back one last time. They were all smiling at me. They had such hope on their faces. Riku was looking at me proudly with a slight smile on his face. Roxas and Xion's warm smiles showed their complete faith in me. Ventus was smiling as if Kairi was here, and I was coming back. Aqua looked to me reassuringly. Even if Axel and the King, Donald and Goofy looked worried, they tried to hide it with a hopeful smile. I was so glad to have friends like them. Without them I was nothing, but this time I have to go alone to spare them the heartache.

I should note that this book will be very slowly updated. I know how I want this to begin and end, but I've still got to think up how we get from here to there, so hang with me. Rights for the art and much of the content here go to Tetsuya Nomura and Co. as part of the game; thank you! I also will come through later for editing purposes so no worries about that. Also, super short story start for the win!! Heehee. See y'all 'round!