Prologue

Before the party even began, he wanted to get sick.

He hated parties to begin with, but this one was even worse. It was his eighth birthday party. It was also the last birthday party he would have at this house. Early tomorrow, he would be off to the capital, Carmine, to start his apprenticeship.

He didn't want to leave this place. He'd lived here his whole life. His memories clung to the walls and seeped into the wood and bricks. It wasn't a big house, but that didn't matter. He didn't want a big house.

This was also where his brother lived.

Devon was the younger of the two by 3 minutes. He didn't seem to care he was, technically, younger. He didn't care much about anything. He did care that Derrek was leaving the next day.

"Why do you have to leave?" Devon asked for the fourth time that day. He trailed behind Derrek as they checked each room to make sure it was perfect for the guests.

"Because I'm going to be an apprentice."

"Yeah, but why can't you be an apprentice here? Training you here would be much more practical! You won't grow up to be a city slob. Spectrum Adair could throw you in the middle of the woods! He can't do that in Carmine. Can he?"

Derrek shivered at the thought of being thrown into the middle of the Forest. He didn't dare go close to it, let alone into it. "I'm sure he can. He's Spectrum Adair, he can do anything." The reply was bland and thoughtless. He didn't mention how wonderful staying home sounded. But Spectrum Adair would never allow it. The only way to learn was to be immersed, according to him, and that's exactly what he was going to do to Derrek.

Devon made a face. "You say that a lot."

"Spectrum Adair is a great man. Why should I not?"

"Because you sound like you're mind-controlled. We have enough people kissing the ground Adair walks on-"

"Spectrum Adair," Derrek interrupted, out of habit.

Devon scowled. "This is exactly what I mean. You need to think for yourself every now and then! What's gonna happen when Adair dies, and you're left by yourself?"

"I won't be alone, I'll have my advisors and guards."

Devon said nothing, just gave Derrek a hard glare before turning around and stomping off to his room.

Why was he so mad? Devon always got mad whenever Derrek's apprenticeship was brought up. There were too many reasons why to pinpoint the exact one behind it all. Perhaps he was just jealous. Derrek would be worshiped, someday, for his red eyes and ability to draw the color from any red object. Devon had to hide his so no one found out.

Red was now scattered everywhere in the house. Red tablecloths, chairs, balloons, lights, even a bowl of red wine. Derrek's parents wouldn't let him drink the wine, of course, but his birthday parties were more for the adults than kids. Only 2 times had he been allowed to invite his friends, not that he had many in the first place.

"Derrek, sweetie, where are you?" His mother's voice drifted from the kitchen. She was likely decorating the cake.

It was red velvet.

"Here," he called, though moved to stand in the doorway of the kitchen. Just as he had thought, his mother was smearing maroon icing all over the cake. Happy birthday Devon and Derrek! was written across the top.

"Is everything all set? The decorations all in place?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good, good. You may start letting guests in when they arrive."