Reaping Desires

Chapter One                                             

            Normal is a word with much elasticity. Normal was a word that I could never use when defining myself. From an outsider’s point of view, I probably seemed as ordinary as anyone else but there was so much more to me than what people saw on my exterior.

            “Nikita,” Jessica called.

            I turned in the direction of my best friend and the cardboard box she had tossed to me was inches from my face. My hands shot up and I caught it. Thank God for quick reflexes. Although the box was light, the collision wouldn’t have been pleasant.

            I shook my head entertained at her- playful act. “Thanks.”

            Jessica gave me a quick smile, placed a cherry lollipop in her mouth, and hopped off the bed of our truck. “Just making sure you’re on your “A” game.”

            More than ever, I thought to myself.

            Living in North East, Philadelphia was a large transition from Miami, Florida but it seemed necessary after all that we had been through. Jessica and I didn’t meet in a sandbox at the community park. No, we met as toddlers when my sister, Bianca, and I had been dropped off at a group home for children under eighteen that do not have guardians, which is somewhat similar to an orphanage. Residing in Shiloh Manor for the majority of our lives, we had been happy there but not content. Unfortunately, sacrifices had to be made during the move such as leaving my little sister behind which tore me up inside but it was better off that way.

            Walking the narrow pathway to our new house, I took in the new neighborhood. It was a hot July evening with some humidity in the air and there was no one in sight. Odd for the city but I shrugged it off, maybe that’s just the way it was around here. The sky was slowly changing from a light blue to a darker purple as the sun went down. A yellow light caught my peripheral vision and I moved my head in the direction that it was coming from. Two young boys were staring down from their second story window watching Jessica and I remove the boxes from the truck. I laughed as they ducked their heads knowing that I had seen them.

            The floor creaked the moment my foot entered the house. I glanced around unsure of where to put the box I was holding. I knew that it contained my possessions but we hadn’t decided who would get which room. It was a rancher with the kitchen on the right as soon as you walked in the house. Walking forward, the short hallway lead to the living room which was already visible and as of the moment completely bare with freshly painted white walls complimented by a polished light wood floor. From the living room, three doors were visible: two bed rooms on both sides of the house and the bathroom in between the two. It seemed small but for the two of us, it was cozy. Besides, the kitchen contained a door that was the entrance to a set of stairs leading to the basement which was pretty spacious and we had a garage for our truck.

            Excitement fluttered through me as I fully understood the idea of living on my own, well, living with Jessica by ourselves. There was still so much to be done. The only items we were able to bring were our clothes and other things picked up over the years whilst living in Shiloh Manor. Money wasn’t an issue but after driving over twenty-one hours – bathroom breaks included – I just wanted to close my eyes and let the sleep take me, but without a bed or couch, it didn’t sound like an option.

            Jessica took the lollipop from her mouth and leaned against the wall. “Which room do you want?”

            I contemplated the question. If I slept on the left side of the house, the sun would rise in that direction because it was the east. I wasn’t a fan of the sun shining on me while I slept for a different reason other than it woke me up.