Chapter One:The Apolcalypse

Five months. He is as lifeless as a dead body, as cold as frozen ice. Some say he's mentally complicated, other's say he's retarded. Shrouded in black, he doesn't talk and only moves when necessary. Enveloped in the rumors, the lies, the laughters, they had hoped he would socialize more. But even as others mock him and threats of physical abuse travel around, he does nothing. It's been five months now and he has not spoken a single word.

His paper is crisp and new. For the whole quarter he has managed to escape classes without taking a single note while staring intently at the board. My heart refuses to slow down for even a minute as the hour passes. I jumped up only too fast as the bell rung only to find he was already at the exit.

Will materialized next to me as I yelped. "Sorry." he apologized. I shook my head and forced a smile. The hour was finished for the day and that boy was a thing of the past. "C'mon, let's go." Will swing his arm around my shoulder and helped steer my out of the room.

I sighed heavily and leaned against his shoulder. "Finally, that hour felt like forever." I breathed. He grinned in response and my spirit lifted. "Can we eat at the balcony today? Emma and Luke's there." I pleaded as he chuckled.

"Sure." he released my binder as it fell into my locker. "You go up there first. I'll go pick up our lunch." I reluctantly felt his fingers slip through mine but smiled. He walks backwards for a few minutes to continue his gaze towards me until I mounted the stairs and waved. I found it easy to smile and laugh whenever I'm near him. The happy thought remained as my foot trudged up the stairs blindly.

After the third flight I swung open the balcony door casually. Emma and Luke were already there. "Hey." I breathed as I sat down. Emma glanced up at me and grinned.

"Where's Will?" Luke frowned.

"Getting lunch." I answered and shrugged. The view was beautiful up here. Surrounding Avalon High were dozens of pastures and trees. Students often wander off into the woods or forest parks for lunch. My eyes glazed over the fields as Luke arched a eyebrow.

"Slavedriver much?" he teased.

I grinned. "Don't know. Why don't you ask Will yourself?" Emma laughed as Luke's face paled, knowing full well Will could make his afternoon sports practice a lot harder.

"I'll probably die." he shuddered. "A human body can only run so many laps before we break down..."

"Wouldn't that be like the first funeral we have for a student in Avalon?" I joked. Luke cracked a smile.

"Second." Emma corrected through her laughters. "Will's brother remember? Bone cancer." If Luke hadn't arched his eyebrow I would've forgotten he was new here. Emma sighed and continued. "Twelve years ago.

"How'd you guys know him?" Luke asked.

"He was really popular around town. Everyone knew him." I put in. "He was always smiling and all the townsfolk adored him." I stopped for a sec before continuing. "My mom said even though he was so small, when he died he had a smile on and even said 'thank you.'"

"Didn't everyone?" Emma shrugged. "My dad told me I use to play with him."

Luke nodded. "So off-topic but how's your mom?"I realized the story had brought attention to my mother and shrugged. Working at the Laboratory had has often sent her home with a foul mood.

"I've gotten use to her absence a long time ago." I say as the balcony door creaked once again. I was glad Will had arrived.

" Hey guys!" Will laid the tray on my lap before planting a quick kiss on my cheek. He then glanced up and ripped the utensil's package. "So, it might be a little sudden but have you guys seen the grey smoke coming from the Laboratory ever since this morning?"