Chapter 1: Should You Return

Could it possibly be any colder? Cassidy groaned internally as she stepped out of the coffeehouse and proceeded to zip up her leather jacket and fidget with her gray beanie, making sure her ears were properly covered. She noticed the darkening sky and remembered that the news had mentioned a high probability of snow that night. Her mood instantly brightened despite the bitingly cold wind that almost swept her hat away. There was nothing more serene than watching the first snowfall of the season. Everything falls silent. It's as if the universe itself holds it's breath at that very moment, awed by the beauty of nature. Whiteness covers the earth and temporarily hides the ugly aspects of humanity.

Cassidy decided to make a run for her car. The sooner she got home, the sooner she could peel off her numerous layers of clothes, take a warm bath, make a steaming cup of hot cocoa brimming with tiny marshmallows, and watch a few episodes-or seasons-of Gilmore Girls as she waited for the snow to fall.

Just as she was about to start her run, she froze. On the other side of the street she saw a familiar dark wavy mop walking the opposite way. Her breath caught in her throat. It had been nearly three years since she had seen him in person. Three years.

She wasn't sure if she should approach him. His phone was pressed up against his ear and it looked like he was in the middle of a rather intense conversation. A war began raging in Cassidy's head. To call out his name would be rude because it'd interrupt his ongoing conversation, but she also didn't want to miss the chance of speaking to him. Then again, what if the reunion was uncomfortable? After all, so much time has passed since they'd truly spoken to each other.

Before she could make a decision on whether to get his attention or to slip away unnoticed and avoid a potentially awkward situation, he turned his gaze towards her direction.