1 - Daydreamer

+ Zayn's pov

Today was the first day after summer holidays and I was standing by the schoolgate, waiting for my friends who were late as always.

School didn't even start yet and I was already wishing I would have just stayed in bed this morning. But sadly my mum had other plans for me and dragged me out of bed, claiming school would be so different and fun now that I was a senior which I still strongly doubt.

It took about three more minutes until Louis and Niall arrived which was rare, I usually waited at least ten. I chose riding my skateboard to school every day over taking The Underground with them, not wanting to deal with a mob of people this early in the morning.

"Hey, who's that?" Louis asked, not even bothering to greet me. He was pointing at a boy with short brown hair and dark eyes who was standing across the schoolyard.

"I guess he's new," I shrugged, realizing I've actually never seen him before. He didn't look special to me, but since Lou couldn't seem to stop looking at him I figured he found him very attractive.

"But look who he's talking to," Niall said and Louis' face fell the second he saw who it was. The jocks, the most popular and in my opinion least likeable guys at school.

I knew them well, I've been friends with them for way too long. Cole who used to be my best friend was the worst of them all while Jacob and Adam just followed behind like they didn't have an own will.

And then there was Harry, the guy I had a crush on ever since the day I first saw him. He was new to the group and changed to our school only a few weeks before summer holidays, making everyone wonder why. No one would change schools at that time of the school year, if it wasn't for a particular reason.

Harry grew popular very quickly due to his looks and his outgoing personality. Nobody could resist that deep dimple smile, those chocolate coloured curls or beautiful green eyes, which I got lost in every time I glanced at him.

I used to be just as popular as he was now, but everything changed when Cole caught me making out with a guy at a party, recorded it and put the video on Facebook. That's how I have been outed. Loosing my reputation was hard for me at the time but now I couldn't be more thankful, seriously.

I wasn't myself back then, I was fakin' and acting, desperately trying to fit in and it worked. All the girls wanted to be with me, I've been "friends" with everyone who it was important to be friends with and I've been invited to the fanciest parties.

Now I was that awkward bad boy skater kid who only had two friends but that's fine. I'd always chose having two real friends over 200 whose names I didn't even know.

But it's not like I was being bullied, everyone pretty much just ignored me and forgot about my past which I didn't mind. Cole, Adam and Jacob were the only ones who made fun of me now and then, but I couldn't care less.

Unfortunately Harry made friends with them just as quickly as he became popular. I knew he wasn't like them at all, I felt like he was a very nice guy. But knowing he was friends with them scared me too much to even make an attempt on talking to him.

"Zayn!" I broke out of my thoughts when I heard Niall call my name. "Mate, you were starring off into space for at least five minutes."

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking," I muttered. I zoomed out a lot actually, always making up scenarios or recalling things that happened in the past. That's probably why my mum sometimes called me a daydreamer.

"Uhm, what did I miss?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Only Louis complaining about that new guy talking to the jocks. First day of school and he already has a crush," Niall mocked, earning a deadly glare from Louis.

"Anyways, the bell is about to ring, let's go inside before we get a detention for being late," Louis said and I couldn't help but laugh at that. He was obviously just trying to change the topic. I knew him well and he was the last one to care about getting into trouble with a teacher.

──────

Uhm hey, I'm restarting this story..
Thoughts about the first new chapter? :)