Chapter 1: Walking the Dog

• Dedicated to Autumn

My name is Cassidy, but my friends call me Cass.  I was a military brat until I was 16, at which point we thought my father had died.  Since my mom died when I was a baby, I was left on my own.  I was also pregnant with quads, 2 boys, 2 girls.  We later found out that my dad was alive.  We moved back to DC (to be with my boyfriend of coarse) where dad ran into a girl he got pregnant. She didn't want him to even see his daughter, so the got into a custody battle and ad won.  The quads, Meredith (Mere), Danielle (Danny), Noah, and Tyler (Ty), were born, followed with in weeks by my little sister, Amelia (Amy). My boyfriend (now fiance) Mike moved in with us to help take care of the kids, and then my dad started suffering from PTSD.  He gets these attacks where he's almost like an empty shell.  I couldn't wake him up from his last one, so he was emitted into a mental institution.  He get's to come home today.

I nervously brush through Amy's ear length hair while she sleeps.  I put her in her car seat and load her into the van.  I look up at Mike and he rolls his eyes as he climbs into the drivers seat.  I climb into the passenger seat and quickly push my hair behind my ear.  Dad is coming home after school today, and I am supper nervous.  We drop the kids off at Cassandra's (Mike's mom), and Hannah (Mike's little sister) and Kaden (his little brother) run out to our van and hop in.  We head for the high school. 

We pull into the parking lot, and Kaden instantly hops out.  He heads over to his friends, too cool to hang out with his big brother and his girl friend.  We pull into our parking space, and we climb out.  I am immediately attacked by a screaming Alex (my best friend since I first moved to DC).  Ash (the new girl in school who me and Alex have taken a liking to and who creepily looks almost exactly like me) is standing behind Alex with a loose strand of hair in her face.  Alex jumps up in down in front of me.

"You're never gonna believe it! You're never gonna believe it!"  I laugh at my best friend's childish behavior as Hannah climbs out of the van and stands behind me.

"Calm down.  What am I not gonna believe?"

"We made the cheer leading team!"  I groan.  I had tried out for cheer leading with Alex because she had begged me to.  I never imagined that I would actually get in.

"You're kidding me right?"  Mike walks around to my side of the van and wraps his arm around my waist.

"About what?"

"Me and Cass made cheer leading!"  Hannah and Mike break out laughing, and several girls near by death glare at me.  Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm engaged to the school's hottest most popular jock.  And I'm not guessing.  They've told me that before. 

I smack Mike on the shoulder and shake my head.  "Come on guys.  We're gonna be late for class."

We head to homeroom, Mike cracking jokes about me being on cheer leading the whole way.  When we get to mine, Alex's, and Ash's homeroom, Mike bends down, kisses my cheek, then kisses my lips, then leaves with out a word.  I shake my head and follow Alex and Ash to our usual seats at the back of the class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really short! Sorry guys.  First chapter of a book is supposed to be character development.  However, I think that is a great summary of the Trying to Hide The Obvious series and the first book in this series.  I know, i left a bunch out, but I really wanted to get to some plot.  I'm trying to fix my plot lines.  LOL.  Probably wont's work.  3rd chapter tonight.  LOL  I should prob work on one of my other books, but I'm not going to, cuz I love you 8 SO MUCH!!! LOL  Any way, it's almost midnight, and the whole trying to stay up all night thing is starting to wear on me.  But I'll try to get another chapter in tonight, especially since the last 2 were so short.  And I'm rambling again.  LOL.  ANY WAY, HAPPY READING!