Chapter XI: Glimmering

I can't pretend to have any kind of leverage over Ricky. He could live without me satisfying his vices. After all, I'm sure he knows this world like the back of his hand. He could easily find a slut if he needs one. Me, on the other hand, I'm at his mercy. There's no way I could survive out in the forest on my own, and I have no idea where he gets the humans he feeds me.

My point is, maybe I should ease back on the way I talk to him. I've always had a razor sharp tongue. Restraining it won't be easy. However, it's far better than starving to death. The human he'd left for me in the dungeon was a damn nice feast. Why do meals always taste better when you're overworked? Anyways, as much as I wanted to call it a night after my meal, I couldn't abandon my new friends like that.

When I went to go check on Yuu, I was pleasantly surprised by the scene I found. He sat knelt down on a pillow beside the glass coffin table. Ricky walked over, kettle in hand, and poured him a cup of tea. He then filled a second cup and took it to the next room. As I walked in, I saw Kuza was now conscious and sitting upright in bed. He still looked a little worse for wear, but I'm sure he'll be alright now with good rest.

"I would've expected you to be in bed by now." Ricky said as he reentered the room.

"I am tired," I replied, "But, I thought it'd be rude to leave you to take care of people that I brought into your home."

"I've noticed you practice good etiquette, despite your back talking. Is that normal for your kind? Or is it a personal choice?"

"I'd say it's standard for my generation of vampires. Many new vampires accept that standard, but there are some who want to be disobedient, as children will do."

"I see." Ricky continued on as he took a seat, "Well, you're welcome to retire for the evening if you want. I'm alright to care for our guests. Yuu was just telling me his story."

"About how him and Ezra met? Ezra told me on the walk here. It's very sweet." I smiled.

Yuu giggled, "Aw, thank you, Chris!"

I noticed Ricky had a bit of a grin as well. Yuu radiated warmth and kindness. It was the same energy you felt sitting next to a fireplace on Christmas Eve. It was hard not to smile around him.

"A pretty little thing like you, I can't imagine you prefer living in a primitive village in the forest over living somewhere, well, like here." Ricky said.

"It has been a nice change of pace, I have to admit. That village is safe, though, and it's Ezra's home." Yuu replied.

"It's a lot safer here. It's true that I like to be left alone, but I also like helping people. I think we could help each other, actually."

"Maaaybe things are different here, but in my world, that phrase is usually a sexual proposition." I replied. Yuu glanced up at me, giving me a look that confirmed he read it that way as well.

Ricky sighed, "That's not what I meant and you know it. I need a healer on my side, and you need protection."

"Ezra can protect me just fine. Besides, I wouldn't leave him, and he wouldn't leave his village." Yuu answered. He spoke with kindness, as to be expected from someone so delicate. If the same sentence had left my mouth, it would've been far more bitter.

"I know Ezra sustained a bad injury during the orc raids. He's not the man he was when he promised to protect you, and honestly, he's not much help to his village anymore either. Humor me and spend a few nights here, at least. If you come to like it, we'll discuss long term arrangements."

Yuu, being the regal and non-confrontational person he was, decided to agree with a smile. Some people believe a fake smile is the best way to get through life. I believe all smiling gives you is wrinkles. But hey, different strokes.

Thankfully, Ricky made arrangements for the others to stay in their own rooms. For someone who wants to be left alone, he has plenty of extra furnished bedrooms in this castle. Well, as long as I'm not sharing my room tonight, I'm happy. Just as I was about to turn in, I felt a presence behind me. It seemed Ricky had let himself in.

"Don't you knock?" I exclaimed.

"Not in my own house." He replied, arms crossed over his chest. "Sorry I haven't gotten you a coffin like I promised. I did get a little sidetracked."

I laughed, "Don't worry about it. It's the last thing on my mind, but promise me you'll make Ryan get it. Kuza deserves the rest, and frankly, after the way he treated me, I wouldn't mind him having to go to lengths for me."

"Hm, sorry about that. He's always grumpy during the summer, and he hates new people. Once he gets used to you, and once fall comes, you'll see who he really is. I wouldn't keep him around if he wasn't good at heart."

"He told me his story. The very abbreviated version, I mean. What he's been through, it's a lot for a human. I can't blame him for being jaded, but it does seem like he makes an effort to be an asshole." I sat upon the bed, Ricky leaning against the banister. Outside, the sky was pitch black. Just as I like it. It won't be long before the sun rises again, though. "In my realm, we celebrate something called Halloween in the fall. Do you have that here?"

He smirked, "Kuza asked me the same thing when he first came here. He had to explain it to me because I'd never heard of it before. We don't Halloween here, but that's because we have ashe."

"Wait, hold on." I interrupted before he could explain, "Are you telling me that ashe is just a two month long Halloween?"

"More or less. It's a time in which the veil between the living world and the underworld is very thin, and dark energy is at it's peak. Because of this, humans and lesser monster species throw all kinds of celebrations in honor of creatures like me, in the hopes that it'll spare them from our wrath. Of course, there's some that do it because they have a sick intrigue with us, but those are few and far between."

"Maybe this realm isn't all too bad. I'm not sure about this whole eight month long summer thing, though." I groaned.

"It's almost over, actually. A few more weeks at most before fall comes. There is a region up north that doesn't experience summer, only a prolonged spring and fall. I've thought about moving there, but it's not exactly easy to relocate an entire castle."

"Plus, you seem to like looking out for the creatures in the forest. That's why you have Kuza watch them, isn't it?"

"That's not it." Ricky said, "Trouble for them could mean trouble for me. That's all."

I scoffed, "Huh, alright. Well, with this heat, and the fact that I haven't slept in a coffin in awhile now, I'm not at my full strength at all. If you thought I fucked you good before, wait until fall comes."

"Is that so? Hm, if it weren't for this heat, I wouldn't have gotten to see what you look like covered in sweat. I do look forward to seeing that site again, but another time. I can sense how low your energy is. You need rest."

"Yeah," I sighed, "I probably should turn in." I glanced behind myself again, seeing the horizon had begun to brighten. Ricky flicked his wrist, causing the blackout curtains to draw themselves closed. How kind of him. As he turned to leave, I stopped him. "Hang on. Come here a second."

Intrigued, he complied. Ricky approached the edge of my bed. I brushed his hair over his shoulder, then pulled back the collar of his shirt. There was no wound or scar where I'd bitten him during sex.

"I'll have to bite harder next time." I teased him.

"Yes, you will." He answered.

With that, Ricky took his leave. His unblemished skin made me think. The night I'd fucked him, it was considerably dark. We had candlelight, and I had my vampiric sight, but even so, I don't want to say I know for certain what I saw on his body. What I can say I think I saw... A scar, but if he heals so well, what caused him to sustain an injury so severe?