Chapter One - The fighting (10 years)

It was a dark stormy night. Nobody was around. I was in an alleyway. A small, narrow alleyway. It was cold and I'm not gonna lie, I was lost. The thunder rumbled and I jumped remembering the fighting. The rain was falling on my hoodie as I continued walking. Running from home. My dad had yelled and I had heard banging, so I had climbed out of my window and down the tree that dad had told me he was going to cut down after my last escape. My brother Harley had followed me and he was jumping in the puddles happily behind me.

I felt and eerie presence behind me and I stopped walking. "Harley.." I said cautiously.
"Yes?" He replied joyfully.
"Come here. Stay by my side and don't leave it." I ordered.
"But Katie.." He whined.
"Harley, I'm serious." I replied the panic clear in my voice.

Harley slowly walked towards me and latched onto my hand as the silence settled around us. The thunder made a loud bang that made Harley and I jump ten feet. We slowly advanced forwards, the water splashing every time we took a step.

I heard I noise and Harley did too as he gripped my hand in fright. I leant down down to Harley and asked, "do you wanna play a game?"
"Okay.." He replied wearily.
"We'll play hide and go seek. I'll count," I replied, "ready?" He nodded slowly not too sure on if he actually wanted to play.
"1...2....3.....4..." Harley ran away in a giggle fit.

I felt a sudden burst of happiness, but then that feeling came back. I knew something was wrong, but that something felt so right. All I knew is that someone or something was watching me. I could feel their eyes watching my every movement and their ears listening to my every breath.

I saw two turquoise eyes glowing in the shadows. I stumbled backwards as the four legged figure emerged out of the shadows. It was an orangey-brown coloured wolf. He wasn't an average wolf. He was about the size of a small horse.

He made his way closer to me and I fell into the muddy puddles on the cold, hard surface of the ground. It hurt quite a bit. It came closer to me, but all it did was nudge my leg before he ran off into the distance. I was too scared and shocked to move. So I just sat there, panting heavily.

When the wolf returned he was holding my brother by his hood. It dropped him down in front of me before disappearing into the abyss.

My brother grabbed onto me tightly. I groped for my phone. I wasn't going to go home though. I was going to stay with Blake at the park if I had too. I rang Blake and told him that I was somewhere in an alleyway in Inkton, with Harley.

We heard someone walking into the alleyway and we prayed to god that it was Blake. It was. Harley and I hug-tackled him. We were so grateful that he had come and found us.

"Come on. I'll take you to the park if you really don't wanna go home. We can spend the night there in the slide like always." I nodded then looked at Harley.
"What about him?" I asked.
"He can come too," Blake replied, "unless you want me to take him home."
"Yeah, that would be great." I replied with a smile.
"I don't wanna go home," Harley said, "I wanna stay here with you and Blake. Home is scary."
"Yeah. I know." I replied. Blake looked at us sympathetically, but I wish he hadn't. He knew exactly what it was like to be beaten. Harley and I didn't get beaten but mum sure did.

Blake took us to the park, and like usual we slept uncomfortably in the round slide. Our backs leaning on the side and out legs on the other side. It wasn't the best way to sleep, but it was good enough for us.