ONE: one

"you don't think he ran away...?"

the whole table turned to jeno, who all gave him the same look of curiosity. renjun couldn't make sense of such a theory. he tried to find reasons as to why he would run away.

to him, mark was completely content and happy. his relationships, as far as he was concerned, were all well off. he saw mark's life as exhilarating. he saw him as a content and happy person, and everything was just fine and ordinary-- especially that day. nothing indicated that his absence was intentional.

"mark wouldn't run away!" he insisted, twisting the handle his plastic fork in circles on the lunch tray. "he was happy! so why would he run away?"

a few of the boys sighed, not really responding. partially because they didn't know what to say.

they all heard a soft chuckle before one of them said. "maybe he was so sick of us he just left?"

the boys turned to donghyuck, who had just made that comment. renjun rolled his eyes with blatant irritation.

"this is serious, donghyuck's! our friend is missing, and you're--"

"woah chill, dude," the latter spoke defensively. "i'm just trying to lighten the mood a bit..."

"well, you're not helping!"

"hey!" they both looked at jaemin, who had just intervened. he looked back at donghyuck, a look of warning in his eyes. "he's right... we shouldn't joke at a time like this."

donghyuck slouched in his seat as he couldn't find any words to respond with. instead, he sat in silence and picked at his food once more.

"but renjun," he continued. "you need to just... calm down a bit, okay?"

renjun knew that he was right, but he still couldn't help but feel hurt by his words.
"aren't worried about him?" he asked, the strain in his voice so clear and blatant.

"i know you're worried-- we all are," the latter assured, putting a hand on his shoulder. "everything is gonna be fine. i have faith that he's gonna come back...okay?"

he looked at them all: donghyuck, jaemin, chenle, and jisung. he could tell they all wanted him to just drop the subject. maybe, he figured, that just talking about it was too much for them. after all, they all knew mark longer than he has due to him moving here just a few years ago. whatever the reason, he heaved a long, defeated sigh and decided not to share any more with them.

"okay..."