Chapter 1

Tabea's legs dangled over the edge. Below her blue-green water sparkled in the sunlight. The invitation was clear: jump. Yet she refrained as the green colour was a good indicator for its temperature. And this hue meant cold bordering on icy.

Furthermore, it was quite the distance. From a certain height water would act like asphalt upon impact and her current position were a tall 600 meters above sea level. If she leaned forward enough it would take her roughly 61 seconds to shatter on the cold wet.

Instead of giving in to temptation she reclined back and crossed her arms behind her head. The stone she was laying on was cold while the sun touching the front of her body was warm. A strange combination yet not unexpected as the sun had just started rising.

She closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment. A few more hours and tourists would start flooding the place. Not that she blamed them. This place was a sight to behold and if it wasn't for the storm that had raged that night she would never have been alone at such a famous attraction.

Static noise came through the headset in her left ear. Tabea sighed. Her break was about to end. Work was waiting. She sat up and listened to her orders.

„HQ to -chrrrr- 9. Confir-chhhr- your status" The signal wasn't good and she had to strain her ear to make out the words.

„On standby. Ready for orders", her tone was clipped as she reached for the pen in her pocket. Maybe she was a bit annoyed about having to work now.

„Tea-chhr- 2 sent a distress sig-chhhhhr-. Support the-chhr- mission and bring -chhhhr- back. Preferably alive. Their coo-chhhhhhhr- are 24°48'46.5"S 64°33'09.8"W. Underst-chhhr-"

Tabea confirmed the coordinates she had written down on the back of her hand with HQ and shut down the communication. She had worked with Team 2 together before. For some reason she didn't fully comprehend, they always got into trouble. At this point nobody could convince her that it was a coincidence. They had to actively stir up trouble. No other team had to be rescued as often as they did.

Her hope -that their new captain would change their ways- was crushed. She looked one last time longingly at the spectacular sight surrounding her. The fjords were one of her favourite places and she often came here to relax. Usually she visited at night to avoid other humans but sometimes special circumstances allowed her to be here during daytime.

A look at her watch told her the current coordinates which she scribbled down next to the given ones. While she was good at mental arithmetics she preferred writing it down. Prevented mistakes of carelessness. In her younger days when she had yet to get to know fear she didn't bother.

She really missed being fearless and wished she could return those days. Unfortunately, the ability to travel through time had yet to claimed by somebody. Or luckily? Those things were not to be trifled with. Just as she banned those thoughts to the back of her mind she pushed herself forward. She fell.

The cold and violent wind tore at her limbs and she hugged her arms around herself. Her eyes started tearing up even though she wasn't crying. They couldn't handle the cold. The water was getting closer and closer. Soon she could make out fishes and boulders beneath the water surface.

Having procrastinated her task enough, she focused on the numbers on her hand. Chanting them in her mind she imagined herself fading away. Like always she lost the feeling in her fingers and toes first and then the loss of sensation traveled up towards her torso. Her feet were about to touch the water but instead of meeting a violent end she disappeared.

Instead of getting wet her feet hit solid ground and she staggered forward. Embarrassed she regained her footing and smoothed out her clothes. She had underestimated the kinetic force from the fall that still applied to her body even after teleporting.