Irony

Middle school. That's when I first noticed her existence.

Up until then, she had been no more than another presence in the crowd of faceless people. I didn't care about them. And I didn't care to find out more about them.

It was a month or so until the end of our last year as middle-schoolers. A normal day like any other. Dull, boring, repetitive.

A teacher called her over. It must've been something important. She ran over and listened. Then her face turned shocked. And scared. She was gone soon after.

She didn't appear on the next day. Or the day after. Then a week. And then a month. Nowhere to be found. Even as the school year ended, there was no trace of her.

I still didn't care.

But they talked.

Every break, for a few days after.

"She still hasn't come back..."

"Yeah... But I get it. It's such a tragedy."

"Huh? You know what happened?"

"You haven't heard? Her parents were both ghoul investigators. They were brutally attacked and murdered that day. Their corpses were barely recognizable..."

"I thought ghouls ate people?"

"They do. But this time, they must've attacked them as revenge."

I wouldn't wanna eat someone who hunts my own kind either.

Ghoul investigators are a pain in the ass. Good riddance, if you were to ask me.

I myself don't go hunting people for fun. Not usually, that is.

But I would be lying if I said I was against the killing of those goddamn doves.

Come year end, and everything was swiftly forgotten. That girl faded from my mind. Not that she should've ever been there in the first place.

There was someone in my class I didn't get along with. I despised him.

So I decided it was best to find a high-school far away from him. And I did.

It was an uneventful couple of months.

And then I went back to school. All those humans were damn annoying. But it was better than being suspicious for not going to school at all.

On the first day, I was surprised.

Come to think of it, it's not that I didn't expect it. It's rather that I never even thought about it.

She was here.

Different school, different people, different place. Yet here she was, for the first time in months.

She was smiling. But it was a heavy smile. It hid a lot. Not that I cared to find out what.

She fit in at once. All the other girls swarmed her, eager introductions, stupid talk. So mundane.

"Hey, what do you all think about ghouls?"

I hated hearing that question. Wonder how many would shit their pants if they ever found out there was one hiding right beneath their noses?

I wanted to tune them out. I really did. But I couldn't help but listen.

One said she didn't believe in them. Most agreed they were mindless murderers and monsters to be feared. This was why I hated teenage girls.