Waterfall

I was mesmerized by the lights that the cars on the highway provided. It has been four hours since we got on this bus. So far, Peter, Julian and I played card games and talked about the songs we like. This is our first field trip together and it's been awesome.

"Attention Students! We are officially six hours away from Lake Ontario. You will need your energy for tomorrow so get some sleep. We will wake you guys up thirty minutes before we get there."

I tried to fall asleep, but Julian insisted on moving seats so he could sit next to the cute guy in our class, who was seated behind Peter and me. I finally fell asleep, awkwardly dropping my head on Peter's shoulder.

In the morning, I got up, and we started to get our stuff together and checked into the hotel. I couldn't stay in the same room as Julian and Peter since they are guys and I am a girl, so I had to share a room with Rebecca, who I hate. It was okay though since I only had to sleep in the room-- it's not like I had to talk to her.

Once everything was in the room, we went down to the lobby for roll call, and then we headed down to the lake. It was so beautiful. I took out the waterproof camera that my mom got me and started taking pictures. Most of them were photobombed by Julian, (the attention thief).

Mrs. Smith started talking to us about the rules of the water. She also said that the rapids that we were going on were level 4 and if we get far out it will become level 5, so we all had to stay together. We got to choose our own groups. I was with Peter and Julian, and we all got into a canoe. It was so cool. We started rowing down the lake. Swishing noises came from the rapids hitting the boat, moving it along. We didn't realize how fast we were going until it was too late. Mrs. Smith was calling us to go down to the buses, but we were too far out that we could not get back in time. All of the students in our class started to go on the bus without us. The teacher didn't even notice that we were gone, and the bus began to pull away.

"Wait! Don't Go! Wait!" We kept calling out, but it was too late.

Our canoe was going down the lake, faster and stronger. Controlling it was adamantine. Peter took the oars from me and started to take control of the animal that has become our boat. I was getting to the point that we were too light to keep ourselves anchored onto the canoe. I held onto the ship with my life that was about to be ripped from me. It was almost like the grim reaper was pulling us to the end of the lake.

Peter had tiredness in his eyes. I knew he was going to give up. I grabbed the oar from him and started to row, faster and harder than I ever rowed before. The problem still remained: the boat wouldn't turn around. The ship, reading our minds, hit a rock so hard and with so much energy that it threw Julian off of the boat. I evidently went after him. I grabbed his arm and pulled him into mine. Peter caught us and picked us up onto the rock that our ship hit. The stone was too small for us to sit on it, so we stood huddled together.

Peter looked out into the distance, and his face turned pale. Julian and I looked at him, pained to see him like this, though we probably looked worse. Peter looked at us and said in a raspy voice,

"I don't think we are going to make it."

Julian looked at him and shook his head, "It will take more than a river to kill the three musketeers."

Peter pointed ahead. At first I didn't see it, but, when I did, I went pale.

Niagara Falls has claimed the lives of 5,000 people. It is said that even the most professional daredevil will still only have a 25% chance of surviving, let alone three 15-year-olds. How could they make us come here? How could this happen so quickly and with so much force?

Julian started crying, whispering some prayer. I hugged him with the strength I had left. Peter held my hand. We all knew that this is the end of us. Even if somehow a tourist sees us there is no way for them to get help. It's just us versus one of the cruelest battles of nature.

"Shyla, do you think we will make it?" I shook my head. I wanted to go home to my parents. I wanted to say all of the things I never wanted to say before. It's weird that when you're staring into the eyes of the grim reaper, you think differently.

The reality is that we can't stay on this rock forever. It's already starting to flood. The tourists are ahead of us, near the actual falls. They won't see us until we fall. It's aching to think that way, but death gives you a new bucket list.

Julian and Peter whispered to each other something. I kept looking at the water disappearing into the distance. Peter finally said to me, "we should just try to swim to the side, then we can maybe get onto land. If not then-"

Peter started crying really hard. He is usually a pretty stoic guy, but you could tell this was crushing him. Julian patted him on the back with tears streaming down his own face. We all gave each other one last hug and then, we swam.

The water was freezing cold from the sky that was covered in clouds. The currents were more rigid and angrier than before. The side was close. Peter, Julian and I were almost there. Rocks grabbed at my stomach, and I screamed in pain. I know I can make it. I have to make it. Peter reached the side and pulled himself up on to solid ground. Julian reached for Peter's hand, and Peter pulled him up. I kept trying to go, but the pain was unbearable. Peter and Julian kept mouthing my name, but the water in my ears made it hard to hear. I know I can make it, I know I can. I used all of my energy trying to get to the side. Peter and Julian were reaching for my arms to pull me up.

A current from nowhere sweeps me away towards the direction of Niagara. I had lost all of my energy. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw them running after me. Calling my name. Trying to make sure that I survive. Eventually, I lost them. I put my hand over my rapidly beating heart. This was the end for me. I was getting closer and closer to the waterfall. I looked out to the city so I wouldn't have to look down. I could hear the tourists screaming. Then I heard nothing.