The Storm That Heals

Rain, sleet, and hail pounded the roofs, windows, and indeed, anything they could come in reach of, mercilessly, and demanded that they be let into these havens of man. They were relentless, and gave no respite, only growing stronger by the second. Not only man, but every creature in the near vicinity took cover to avoid the wrath of these showers. The odd religious fellow would even say that the gods were terribly unhappy about something, and wanted to take it out on the world. And so, it had to be just this day, that I had to have felt that it would be pleasant to go out for a walk. 

Having lost our tempers with each other, my fiancée, Cecilia, and I had decided to give each other some space for a couple of hours, and I had decided to take a walk to clear my head. I had, though, due to the cold weather, decided to put on a mackintosh, and that turned out to be a blessing. Cecilia, on the other hand, had proved to have made a sensible choice by just lying down, and surrendering herself to the one thing for which she had more love than she had for me: reading. And so, now, I found myself in this royal mess, with only one coat to shield me from the elements. I regretted falling out with Cecelia, as all people do, when they suddenly are thrust into dilemma. But there were those who were even more in need of assistance than I. As I walked swiftly down the winding streets of Liverpool, two cars, passing beneath the same tree, were felled by it, as it fell, having not been able to withstand the onslaught of nature. A few other poor souls like I rushed to the scene, eager to assist and began the tedious job of lifting the branches just enough to get the passengers of the two vehicles, including a helpless new-born baby and its parents, in the first vehicle and a single woman, in the other. In the proceedings, my trusty shield was torn, and so, I was now in grave danger of catching a bad cold. But, fighting through similar hindrances, all of us rescuers managed to save the victims, and get them to safety. As it always is, when strange people, unfamiliar to one-another, must band together to do something important, when we were done, we grinned at each other to signify a job well done, and then we went our separate ways. 

When I reached home, many hours too late for dinner, I was met at the door by an anxious Cecilia. Wordlessly, she covered me with a warm blanket, after drying me off, and we both dropped onto the couch and just held one-another, silently sending and receiving the same message. All was forgiven. 

P.S. Pretty short, at 475 words. Wrote this for a school composition.