"Shawn, where did you go?"

Five.

I was wandering around in my house like I usually did everyday. I was always curious about the "dangerous" things mommy and daddy  said were in the top cabinets of our kitchen. Mommy had just left and daddy fell asleep on the couch. Looks like it was my lucky day. I could finally go check it out. I dragged the stepping stool to where I needed it to be and although daddy was a heavy sleeper, I made sure to be quiet. I climbed up the kitchen counter until I was standing on it. Finally, the moment I've been waiting for.

I opened the cabinet and saw very sharp and sparkly things. "Ooooo." I smiled and reached for one of the shiny cups. I tried to lift it up but it was too heavy so it dropped and shattered on the ground. It was so loud. I stood still to make sure daddy didn't wake up and i'm glad he didn't. There was some sharp toys in the cabinets too. I wanted to play with them so I grabbed it. "Cool, what is this?" Suddenly, I heard a voice.

"Haven't your mommy ever told you not to play with knibes?"

I was shocked by the voice so I jumped and the sharp toy cut my finger a little. I started to bleed. Then, I started to cry.

"Wh-who are you?" -me

"I'm Shawn Hill. Who are you?" -Shawn

"I'm Justin Walter...sooo... WHERE are you?" -me

"In the living room." -Shawn

"You're not in the living room." -me

"Yea kiddo. I'm right behind you. Ugh. Look at the mess you made." -dad

I was so confused. Who was that talking just now? How did daddy get in here? I guess he heard the glass fall after all.

"Sorry daddy. I cut myself with the knibe." -me

"You okay kiddo? I'll get you cleaned up. Let's not tell mom about this okay. Deal?" -dad

"Deal." -me

He lifted me off of the counter and sat me down on the living room couch. Then he went back into the kitchen to clean up the mess.

"Where did Shawn go? He was in here right?" -me

"Huh? Who's Shawn?" -dad

"Nebermind daddy." -me

I guess I was losing my mind. After daddy had cleaned the glass, he came and cleaned my finger. Since I was crying earlier, I was feeling a bit tired. Daddy put me in the bed to fall asleep while he went back into the living room. I layed my head on the pillow and tried to fall asleep.

"Hey, Justin?" -Shawn

"Woah! Stop that." -me

"Sorry. What are you doing?" -Shawn

"Im trying to take a nap. Get out of my head." -me

"I need to ask you something." -Shawn

"What is it?" -me

"How are we talking right now?" -Shawn

"I was gonna ask you that!" -me

"I don't think we should worry about it that much. Let's become best friends okay?" -Shawn

"Okay." -me

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

So we became best friends. We didn't know how this worked or how this happened. I still didn't know if it was just me imagining things. Either way I went along with it. It was interesting. We talked day and night and about everything. I was happy to meet someone like Shawn. It was different from having a physical friend. We called eachother best mind friends or "bmf" for short. We grew up learning many things about each other.