Chapter 1

Voices. Lots of voices. I'm panicking. Why are there voices in my head? Go away! I don't want you here! I'm screaming, running, clawing trying to get them out. Go away, I cry.

Ugh. The first thing I notice when I wake up is the dreadful, sinister beeping coming from my alarm clock. "Mom!"

"Yes, Maliya?"

"Why is my alarm going off, isn't it sunday?"

"No dear, today's Monday. Time to get up! You'll miss the bus."

"On it, mom." I say as I plop back onto my bed. I hate Mondays.

"Maliya! Get up!" Mom yells from the kitchen. She could just text me. I give in and roll off my bed. Monday's are the worst. Oh crap! That algebra test! And physics! Shit. I pull on a dark blue sweater and my avengers scarf. Skinny jeans and combat boots top off the outfit. I pull my blonde and blue hair into a neat ponytail and head downstairs.

"Finally, you've got 10 minutes to head to the bus stop so eat your eggs and get going." My mom says quickly.

"Okay... Mom, why are you so jittery?"

"Honey, I'm perfectly fine."

Knowing my mother, she isn't.

"No, you're not, mom."

Her long brown hair was in a messy braid down her back and she was wearing the same wrinkled clothes as yesterday. Her green eyes, the same as mine, were worried, not the usual calm they were on most days.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I'm just tired today." Lies.

"Okay mom, gotta run. See you after school." I leave the house through the front door before she can answer and join Gwen at the bus stop.

"Hey Maliya-Bo-bila!" Gwen Waters, everybody.

"Hey"

"What's up buttercup?" Gwen is my best and only friend.

"Nothing much, my mom was acting funny this morning."

"Why? She's always so calm."

"I don't know, she wouldn't tell me."

"So is your brother coming on the bus this morning?" Gwen gets on her tip-toes and looks around over my shoulders.

"Nah, he's got football this morning."

"Aww." She makes a pouty face and turns around. The bus pulls up and we get on. Gods I hate Mondays.