Chapter 1: Stars

I was only nine when it happened.

My little baby sister Macy was crying in her crib. There was a man, he was hurting my mum. I didn't like it. I wanted him to stop! I screamed at him to stop it! To stop hurting my mom. She was now laying still on the floor. He didn't show any signs of slowing down.

Something was building up inside me. I had never felt anything this intense before. White hot anger filled me as I yelled at the top of my lungs. "GET AWAY FROM HER!!!!!!"

Then it happened. There was a blinding electric blue light. My fingertips felt warmer, as if heated by some unusual energy. The man who was hitting my mother stopped, his expression shocked, he stared at me with wide eyes.

Sparks, the shape of stars were coming from my hands, and threw the man across the room, through the wall connecting the living room to the kitchen. The fluorescent lights flashed once or twice, then dimmed and the Stars stopped spilling from my hands. My forehead was burning, I put my hand up to it to feel my temperature, and winced as the heat spread from my forehead.

The man groaned as he got up, he flashed one look at me, then stood up and bolted out of the house, I saw him get into his car and drive off at full speed.

I turned around, and caught my reflection in the mirror. I stared. My eyes... they were glowing, a bright florescent, teal colour. My fingertips were slowly pulsing with the same glow, and my head... I realised why it was burning. My forehead was didn't have just bare skin anymore, there was something in the middle, something that looked oddly in the shape of a star. It was filled in with the same glow as my hands and eyes. The star pulsed twice, and faded without a trace. Everything started swirling. Suddenly I felt tired, and dizzy. Then it all went black.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in a stiff, seemingly foreign bed, at least thats what I thought it was, until I saw the rest of the room. Pretty aqua wallpaper surrounded me, and I realised that I was actually in my own room, in my own bed. The door creaked open, and a lady came into the room with small boy about my age, clinging to her dress.

"Where's my mom, and my little sister?" I said.

The lady sat on the foot of the bed. The expression on her face was one of sorrow and pity.

"Your sister is fine, she is asleep in her room for now." She said.

"And my mom?" I managed to squeak out.

"I'm very sorry my dear" She said cautiously.

I didn't understand what she meant. Or maybe I just didn't want to believe it. so I gave her a questioning look, even though I already knew what she was implying.

"Your mother has passed on" Was all she said, before slowly walking out of the room, the young boy close on her heels.

Wet tears streamed from my face as I cried and cried for my mother. When I had finally stopped, I decided that I was determined to go find my little sister and see if she was as alright as the lady said. So I got up out of my bed and walked carefully over to the closed bedroom door. I silently prayed that it wasn't locked, and to my relief, the door creaked open as I pushed it.

I already knew where my sister's room was, it was only a matter of what was behind it. Was she actually sleeping? Or did they give her something to stay quiet? These were the only thoughts turning around in my mind as I opened the door. But I wasn't exactly prepared for what I saw as I entered.

I was surprised to find that my sister was sitting up, fully awake, giggling even. Then I saw the little boy from before. He was shaking a little pink rattle near her cot.