Mate?

It was raining the day that I found my mate. 

It's not every day that it rains over Newbridge in February, but it's not every day that the Dark Alpha King finds his mate; Nor is it any more likely that the aforementioned mate would be a human girl like me.

When the rain first broke out, I'd been in a clothes shop with my closest friend and confidant. Adele and I had been planning to go out shopping for months, but we always found some reason to binge-watch shows in my room instead. Today was the day she decided to pull me out of bed, and sometimes I wonder if she knew what she was getting me into.

Flashback

"C' mon Mara. You haven't gone anywhere exciting since el mercado two weeks ago, and that was shopping for more food to eat in your room like shut-in!"

"You ate half that food too!"

"I walked half a mile to get over here to your sorry ass. I deserve las calorías. Now get up and get dressed." And I did.

I admit; I would do better in life if I only listened to Adele. More than often, she was right and I knew it. Sometimes, on rare occasions, I would find myself listening to her. So when she told me to go get my car, I did. What I hadn't anticipated was the letter on the driver's seat with the royal seal on it.

"It's just a letter," Adele reasoned when we got back to my apartment. "Maybe a Royal admired your outfit?" Really?

"Sí, puñeta. A royal took the time to write me a goddamn letter because they liked my outfit." 

"If I'm right, I'm not the puñeta here." That remark earned her the middle finger.

Adele pouted for a second before lunging at me to grab the letter. "Just open it," she whined when I pulled it away, "How bad could it be?"

She's right. "You're right. I could be scared of nothing. Let's open it up."

Dearest subject,

As of the time you read this letter, you are a person of great interest to the Dark Lycan King. A request has been put upon you to visit the castle. Should you deny this request, a member of the royal guard will escort you personally.

Best regards,
Hikaru of the Royal Guard

I was frozen in the harsh reality in my hands. Person of interest? That can't be good. Isn't that what they call those people who are suspected of the crime, but not yet accused? Adele was the first to voice her thoughts.

"Holy shit. What did you do?"
"Adele, I was with you all day!"
"Not all day. What did you do in the bathroom?"
"Wrote a sonnet. What the fuck did you think I did?"
"Shut up I'm trying to help."
"Well, you're not, at all." I deadpanned.

We had a moment of silent pondering before returning to non-direct verbal abuse.

"What the fuck?!"
"I don't fucking know!" I yelled into the air, not at her or anyone.
"Oh my fuck! What if you have a royal mate?"
I gagged. Human-Wolf pairings weren't rare, but not common at all. High-rank wolves having human mates usually didn't happen, and if they did, often did not work out.

"To a fucking royal? ¡No gracias, pendeja!"
"Okay, maybe not a royal. But a guard?"
"Oh yes because a royal wouldn't be possessive enough!"
"You remember that dream you had about the king though?"
"Oh my god, Adele! That was one fucking time and it's not like I wanted to marry him! I just thought he was hot!"
"So hot that you said his name in your sleep? Yeah, sure. No crush there."

In all fairness, I did have a crush on the Dark Lycan King. A celebrity crush is harmless, even when it is a wolf.

"What if he's my mate, Adele?"
Tu tiene sexo con él!"
"Blech!" I choked on own spit. Adele never pulls any punches, but I had not expected her to say that.