Prologue 1/2

June 18th, 2010

Deep in the wooded area of Reverse Falls, Oregon, the moon rose over the woods, casting a pale light.

Caught in the light were two little kids. But these were not ordinary children. After all, they had discovered something extraordinary.

"And how far away is this mysterious cave you discovered?" The boy asked his sister.

"Hush, brother," the girl said. "you do want this, correct?"

"I'm only curious, Mabel." The boy replied. "I'm afraid  can't help it. I have an overwhelming sense of curiosity."

"Curiosity killed the cat, Dipper." Mabel warned him.

"But satisfaction brought it back." Dipper replied with a smirk. "Are you trying to frighten me, sister dear?"

Mabel didn't reply. She continued to walk onward, toward the cave she had discovered one night.

"Well?" Dipper demanded, crossing his arms. ""Where is this oh-so-mysterious cave?"

"Right ahead." Mabel set her lips into a thin line. "Are you going to go in with me? Or are you too frightened?"

Dipper stiffened. "Lead the way."

Mabel walked forward into the dark cave. "You have the candle, correct? And the matches?"

"Yes." Her brother replied. He held out a small bag that contained said items. "What is it that you've discovered? I have asked you several times and yet you still avoid answering. So, for the last time, I repeat, what is it that you've found?"

Mabel frowned. Why couldn't her brother just trust her? "Don't you trust me, Dipper?"

As soon as his sister said those words, Dipper's facade dropped away. His eyes became softer, as did his tone. "Yes, of course I trust you, Mabel. I trust you with anything and everything."

Mabel seemed to drop her mysterious persona as well. "I'm glad that you do. Now, what would you do if you could have all the power in the world?"

Dipper raised a brow. "I'm not giving up my inheritance, Mabel."

"That isn't what I'm talking about," she groaned. "Anyways, you will never believe what I have found down here."

Dipper followed his sister into the dark, slightly regretting it. Regardless, he trusted her and would follow her blindly.

"Here!" His sister suddenly shouted from a few feet ahead. "Now, light a candle, Dipper."

Dipper complied. He ruffled through his bag, trying to find the matches as well as a candle. He pulled one out at random. When Mabel requested that he snatch candles from their mother's collection, he didn't know if he should take a specific type.

Regardless, he had taken a set of lavender candles. He struck the match and quickly lit the candle in front of him.

The cave soon grew clearer in the once-darkness. Mabel stood before him and grinned. "Well? What do you think?"

Dipper inspected the room, examining a spiderweb. "It's creepy." He concluded as he walked around, "I could get used to this."

Mabel smiled. "But that isn't even the half of it."

Dipper grew more curious. "Tell me."

"I found a separate part of this cave." Mabel informed him. "And inside of it I've discovered something spectacular."

Dipper followed his sister toward a darker section of the cave. Once inside, he watched as the room began to glow. He soon realized that it wasn't his candle's doing, in fact, the candle had gone out.