Perseid

The truck rocked as she swung out of the passenger seat, bright smile and jumping with excitement.

"C'mon, you're going to miss it!" She shouts, rushing to open the backseat. Laughing at her antics, I climb out from the driver's seat and stretch, double checking the parking brake. If we started rolling out here, we'd never recover. The truck secured, I walk to the back and unlock the tailgate before rolling back the cover. Stuffed into the bed of the truck is a mattress, which she's busy throwing blankets and tossing snacks onto.

"There's no rush. Who's the one actually passing astronomy again?" I tease.

"Hush you." She snarks, closing the doors to the cab.

She yelps as I grab her by the waist and toss her over the side of the truck into the pile of blankets on the mattress.

"You're so mean." She groans, rolling over and starting to sort through the supplies.

"Yeah," I agree, levering myself over the side as well, "but you love it." She rolls her eyes and continues sorting out. I'm handed a bottle of water and a granola bar, before another is shoved in my face.

"Hold." She orders, grabbing the pillows.

"yes, ma'am." I say, fondly watching her tuck them along the back of the cab and arrange the blankets. Soon she takes them back and pulls me into place, neatly slotting herself under my arm. Out past the end of the truck is the bay, rolling waves far off but glowing orange with the setting sun. Driving up the side of the mountain was a pain, but the view is worth it.

"See, plenty of time." I say, feeding her part of my granola bar.

"Yeah, but you can never be too safe." She argues around the food. "How long was it until the show?"

"Well, I've had a front row seat to the greatest show in town all day, but if you're referring to the astrological event, then about half an hour after sunset." I say. She swats my arm, but there's nothing behind it.

We take a few minutes to just sit and breathe, to think about the world and all that's been going on, taking comfort in each other.

"There it goes." I whisper, drawing her back to earth. The sun rests on the waves, and with a muted flash of green, it dips below the horizon. The sky, wispy pink and orange and red darkens and slowly the stars wink in. We cuddle and breathe for a while, watching the sky open up again. Thankfully, the skies are clear of everything- no planes or clouds or anything at all. One of the benefits of living on the edge of classified airspace.

She tightens beneath me, and that's the only warning I get. The sky flashes as the first meteor streaks by. More follow within seconds, and we sit in awe at the sky opening up like this. She's wide eyed and open jawed as streaks of blue and green flash and fly by. As much as I try and watch the meteor shower, I can't look away from her. She's adorable in amazement, each passing space rock more exciting than the last. The shower eventually peters out, the last few fragments streaking by and vanishing as the earth moves out of the debris field.

"That was so cool." She whispers, tucked under my head and wrapped in a fuzzy blanket. "Thank you for bringing me out here."

"I'm glad you liked it. Maybe we can come back the next time." I say, fighting the smile.

"When will that be?" She says excitedly.

"Oh, about 3000 years." I say offhandedly.

"Ugh, you're so mean." She groans, tossing her head back.