Criminal Psychology

CRIMINAL  PSYCHOLOGY

          Is a sub-field of general psychology. It maybe defined as the study of criminal behavior, the study of criminal conduct and activities in an attempt to discover recurrent patterns and to formulate rules about his behavior.

Classification of Behavior

1.      Normal Behavior (adaptive or adjusted behavior) – the standard behavior, the totality accepted behavior because they follow the standard norms of society.  A normal person with normal behavior is characterized by :

a.       Efficient perception of reality

b.      Self-knowledge

c.      Ability to exercise voluntary control over his behavior

d.      Self-esteem and acceptance

e.      Productivity

f.       Ability to form affectionate relationship with others.

2.      Abnormal Behavior (maladaptive or maladjusted behavior)- a group of behaviors that are deviant from social expectations because they go against the norms or standards behavior of society. A behavior that deprives from the accepted norms of the society is considered abnormal. However, it is primarily dependent on the existing norm of such society.

Maladative Behavior

            It is the effect of well being of the individual and or the social group. That some kind of deviant behavior interferes with the welfare of the individual such as a man who fears crowd can’t ride a bus. This means that a person cannot adopt himself with the situation where in it is beneficial to him. 

Abnormal Behavior Due to Personal Distress

  This is abnormality in terms of the individual subjective feelings of distress rather than the individual behavior. This includes mental illness, feeling of miserably, depression and loss of appetite and interest, suffering from insomnia and numerous aches and pains.

Abnormality in its Legal Point

  It declares that a person is insane largely on the basis of his inability to judge between right and wrong or to exert control over his behavior.  

Kinds of Behavior

1.      Overt Behavior – behavior that are outwardly manifested or those that are directly observable.

2.      Covert Behavior - behaviors that are hidden, not visible to the naked eye.

3.      Conscious Behavior – behavior is conscious when acts are in the level of awareness.

4.      Unconscious Behavior - it is unconscious when acts are embedded in one’s subconscious – unaware.

5.      Simple Behavior  – these are acts  categorized according to the number of neurons involved in the processing of behaving. Simple behavior involves less number of neurons.