Prologue

I couldn't breathe. I could hardly move.

I was being pushed down, the freezing abyss around me suffocating, drowning me.

But I didn't need to breathe.

It was so dark I couldn't see. The water around me so freezing I couldn't feel.

All I could do was push around me, try to push the water away.

My lungs kept on inflating, taking in water desperately wanting it to be air even though I knew I didn't need the air.

I shoved my arms and twisted my body. I just wanted out of this. Frustration and anger were taking over. I guess I should have been panicking. But I wasn't. I was mad.

I shoved and kicked and lurched until my head broke way, and suddenly I wasn't in a never ending pool of water. I was laying on cold hard concrete, my body soaking shaking, hair dripping.

My surroundings were dark. Almost too dark to make out. The air was musky, the ground dusty.

I had no idea where I was but I wasn't worried. Something inside me told me exactly what I needed to do, where I needed to go.

I was supposed to be looking for someone. Who, I don't know. Why I also didn't know. But somehow my feet carried me up off the floor, up the creakity stairs I couldn't see and out of the cellar.

Somehow, I knew exactly where I needed to go.