Calm Before the Storm

It all started when i was visiting my Aunt Em for her 55th birthday. I drove up to the white picket fence that was so familiar to me. I hopped off my motorcycle and took off my helmet, letting the fierce Kansas winds blow my long brown hair into my face. I walked up to the old screen door, staring at the bright green grasses and dandelions bending over in the breeze. Not a tree nor a house dotted the long vast prairie for miles and miles. I let the many memories i had off this place flow over me like a tidal wave. I remembered the adventures i pretended to have, the delicious homemade meals, helping out on the farm, and the amazing stories my Uncle Henry used to tell me about far off and fantastic places. "I guess now I'm finally getting my wish" i thought. I walked up the rickety front steps and prepared myself for a big hug from my Aunt. 

Before i continue, i should probably give you some more info on myself. Hi! My name is Dorothy Gale. I lived in Kansas my whole life, until i got an invitation to study at a prestigious academy in Texas. At the time i was 15, and i am 17 now. My whole life I have wanted to explore the world and see everything there is to see. I've always been curious and imaginative, but my aunt and uncle have never really accepted that I'm not content with a simple farm life. They didn't want me to go to the academy, and they still don't agree with my choices. But now I'm going to make it up to them by attending my aunt's birthday.

"Dorothy!" cried out Aunt Em as she wrapped her arms tightly around me, "Oh, how i have missed you!". She invited me in for some coffee, and she presented a delicious chocolate cake that Uncle Henry had baked the night before. "It isn't his best cooking,but it isn't his worst either" she said with a smile. i ate some, and i mentioned how well my studies had been going.

"I still think you should have stayed with us" My aunt said. I couldn't believe she was still complaining after all this time! She already knew how important my studies were to me! "I thought you had accepted that i don't want to work on the farm my whole life." Suddenly, my aunt rose out of her seat and glared at me. "You should know by now that your duty is to your family! You aren't ready to go off and explore the world! Besides, that sort of dream is...Impractical!'. Then she turned around and stormed out of the kitchen in a huff. I stormed out in a huff as well, but i was the only one with tears on my cheeks. i ran to my motorcycle. Why had i ever thought that coming here was a good idea? I should have know she would only scold me like i was a child. 

Just as i was climbing on, i heard a loud whooshing sound. I looked up and noticed how grey and dark the skies were. i gasped as a sudden realization hit me. "A Tornado" I whispered....