Introduction

I will always regret those people in my life, both good and bad, who I have allowed to slip into nothingness. They live forever in my mind and in the fissures and fractures of my heart that each of them has etched, but for one reason or another they are gone, disappeared into time and space; my childhood best friend, my confidant during high school, that person who made my knees weak with a look. In the age of social media one would think it impossible to fall off the grid, but some people can’t be found. Some may not want to be found. Some will forever remain a memory or a feeling of nostalgia or a flash across my mind when I hear a song on the radio.

In my life, I have practiced love, pain, loss, and most importantly passion. I learned these skills from my mother. She is the principal of the school of broken hearts. She taught me to love hard. I have loved with everything I have and, pathetically, lost almost every person who left an impression on my soul. I’ve had a string of boyfriends and husbands who have either been perfect and I’ve let them go or have been absolutely wrong for me, but every single one of them was beautiful in one way or another. My heart has a reputation of being fast, furious and frightfully easy to break. I love to love.

My life has a soundtrack. Every memory I have can be put to song. In this memoir, I have included a suggestion of what to listen to in order to capture the feeling of the moment.