Cadet

It was supposed to be a normal cold, rainy autumn night, if it wasn't for the captain of the Survey Corps Erwin Smith called you to his office. You knock on the door and wait for a response from inside the division.

"Identification."

You identify yourself by saying the first and last name and the belonging squadron.

"Oh, Cadet (name), I was waiting, you can come in."

You open the door cautiously and you get in the office entrance. Not knowing what you're expecting, you get the guts to ask why were you there at the time.

"Oh sure, I call you because I want explanations of your behaviour lately, but first come, sit down, don't stand there so far."

You approach slowly with your hands behind your back and sit in the chair in front of the commander's desk.

"I noticed that you have been distracted in the classes I give of Titan anatomy and I also noticed that you face me repeatedly, not only in class but beyond them also, what is the reason for this strange behavior?"

For a moment you begin to blush, Commander Erwin Smith was a tall and strong man, assertive and intelligent, but at the same time considerate and caring, for him you felt all of your utmost respect and admiration, but lately you had begun to lose control over yourself and your thoughts.

The commander notices your red and ashamed expression and stretches his hand to reach yours.

"Cadet, you don't have to be ashamed, you know you can talk to me whenever you need me and I have availability, part of a commander's job is to listen to his subordinates and I know that our work is not easy."

You start to relax a little and look at the commander's beautiful blue eyes and blush and hesitate again. You say it was nothing of the sort of matter why you're distracted and keep your hand away from his. Your feelings for the commander were intense and you knew it, but you lived in fear that if you told him how you felt, there was a problem for both of us, but that moment was unique... There wouldn't be any opportunity like that for the rest of your life, and for those who are in the Survey Corps, life is a very faint and uncertain line.

You breathe deep and look back at Erwin, who looks deep into your eyes, and questions, how had him come up there, Commander of the Survey Corps and about his father's theory.

Commander Erwin, straighten in his chair and made a gentle little laugh.

"Well, since I was little, I've always been someone very curious, but I learned from my father that being curious can kill. In my years of youth while my father was still alive, I used to ask him about his theories and he spoke to me openly always trusting. Sometimes when I saw him a little bit down, I asked just to see him happy, and as he spoke, I could see the happiness and passion in his eyes."

The commander rises and turns to the large window behind the desk speckled with rain.

"When I get the age I joined the Survey Corps in hope of confirming my father's theories, but when I returned from my first expedition I went home and gave me the news that my father had been executed by King's mandate. So from then on I decided to focus entirely on my career as a soldier doing my best in everything I could, until I get to Commander."

By ending Erwin made a small smile by the memories and turning to you again looking into your eyes.

"Of course, it was a very difficult path, all the most important people to me were eventually taken away and I'm carrying the souls of countless dead cadets, not in vain, on our expeditions to regain the walls. But let's not talk about me, I also want to get to know a little better cadet, I ask you the same question. How did you get here?"