Prologue

March 16, 1891

It's my first day of serving in the Phantomive manor as the Butler's apprentice. The Young Master seems terribly troubled, he does not speak much and only seems to speak to his butler, Sebastian Michaelis, who also happens to be my new boss. And also my new coworkers, Mae Rin, who is horribly jittery. Finney, the incredibly sweet one. And the cook, who's name I couldn't exactly catch. But he seemed very upright. Of course enters little 15 year old me, Naomi Maruko. The maid who is entirely too shy to even make eye contact with the Earl. But Sebastian seems to take a liking to me.

"Naomi, will you please come here." Sebastian called from the kitchen.

I hurried downstairs to see Sebastian cooking up the Young Lord's dinner. He looked at me with a warm smile.

"Will you please go out and pick some white roses. They are the Master's favorite." he asked of me, bowing slightly.

I returned the yes with a bow and scuttled out of the kitchen. That's when chaos happened.

I accidentally bumped into Mae Rin, who fell back on Finney, who was carrying a stack of plates. Finney tumbled to the floor, all of the plates crashing around him. Sebastian rushed out of the kitchen quickly to see the damage.

"What is going on out here?!" He nearly shouted.

Mae Rin and Finney laid on the ground, still shaken up. I spoke up quietly.

"I-it was my fault... I-I knocked into M-Mae Rin who fell back on Finney who was carrying all of those plates. I'm sorry." I apologized quietly.

 Sebastian looked at me for a quick moment, then looked to Finney and Mae Rin.

"Clean this mess up at once. Naomi, you instead will go check on the master. He is laid to bedrest because of a terrible fever." He ordered, then walked away.

I scurried up the stairs towards Ciel's room. I felt it terrible that the young lord had a fever, so obeying Sebastian's orders were the least I could do- Even if I was afraid to speak to Ciel.

I reached his bedroom door and knocked quietly.

"Yes, come in." Ciel's sickened voice called softly.

Slowly I made my way into the master's cave.