dreams

My face was stinging from the rain as I ran through an open field. I was running -- running from what? I looked back only to be in my room, muddy from the night before. Standing there bare foot on my favorite carpet that my dad had bought me.

"Shit," I whispered to myself. And grabbed the already muddy towel and cleaned my feet off to continue to clean up before getting in the shower and doing my homework before school.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School for me was no different from anyone else. But today, I didn't want to be around anyone, so I pretended to be sick to get out of some of my classes.   I could not wrap my head around anything that would make sense for what happened last night.  It all just sort of happened and I have no clue what the hell I was running away from.

I was meaning to tell Anna but she just kept talking and talking, there was no way I was going to get a word in. I just walked and listened to her as normal but the hallway seemed to stretch FOREVER as we walked down it and I was agitated because today was just not my day.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, ANNA!!!!! NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU!! YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANYONE!! YOU HAVEN'T ASKED ME ANYTHING ABOUT ME IN A WHILE!" I was surprised because I had no clue where that came from.

"Anna, I'm-" And as I knew it I had no one, at this moment in time I, Zoey, was all alone and I was standing in the middle of the hallway alone, with everyone staring at me like I had just killed someone. So, I went to my next class and acted like nothing had happened. I pulled my phone out to text Anna but she already had me blocked.

I always knew that Anna wasn't really a friend but she was all I had. Without her, I wouldn't be here, she pushed me to believe in myself and she gave me a reason to live. I owe her. But now she's gone, all mad and upset with me. It'll be a few days before she even looks at me again.

I laughed, in my head, out loud. I laughed because without an actual friend I would be dead and I still had a debt to pay. Without Anna, I would be nothing. Absolutely nothing but maybe a tiny speck of dirt.