Chapter 1

James Reese was the boy who neglected his prayers before he slept. He had tattoos and piercings, cursed when he spoke, and had been dying his hair black since freshman year. He hung out with drop outs and cheated his way through his classes, but somehow managed to keep a 3.0 GPA throughout them all. He did drugs with his friends and stayed out past curfew. Rumour has it, he got arrested twice. Once, for beating some kid to death and again for stealing alcohol from the local Stop-N-Shop. James hated rumours.

Alex Blythe went to church with his parents on Sundays. He had feathery, blonde hair and thought carefully about each word before he spoke. He and his friends went to each other's houses and watched cheap, horror films every Friday night.

All James thought about was fucking Alex Blythe.

Of course he'd never talked to him before, but he noticed every time he looked his way or laughed at a smart remark he made during class. He'd picked up on little things about him, like how he chewed on the metal bit of his pencils when he was stressed and how he had a pale, pink birthmark on his left wrist. Things he wouldn't notice about anyone but Alex.

"You're in love." James' friend, Amy, laughed as she poured a bag of Skittles onto a napkin. She had long, blonde hair that she borderline worshipped and claimed to have been a mermaid in a past life. Amy was one of the few friends James had that hadn't already given up on school.

James scoffed, never taking his eyes off of the lithe frame of Alex Blythe as he walked to his lunch table and sat down with two boys that James hadn't cared to learn the names of.

"It's true. I can recommend a love spell if you want?"

Amy was into paganism now, something that she didn't keep a secret but hardly anyone knew. James doubted anyone would care even if they did because Amy switched religions so often. Last week she was a LaVeyan Satanist, but abandoned it because she thought Anton LaVey was a pretentious asshole who only made the religion to gratify himself.

"You're weird as fuck." James smirked and reached over, popping a few of the coloured candies into his mouth. "If that shit works though, find me one that'll give us two magnets. One inside his mouth and one on my --"

"I'll tell you if I find anything." She cut him off and focused on sorting the candy into separate piles, then stopped and ran her fingers along the ends of her hair. "I don't think you only feel lust for this boy, James. It's different now. You've fucked so many girls, never a boy though, and you've never thought about it for this long. It's been over a month and you've never talked to him. You just watch him and sigh. It's getting kind of hard to watch." She bit her lip softly, looking back up at him.

James rolled his eyes, trying to ignore the last part.

"I don't love him. I've just never fucked a guy and I have to think about things before I go through with them."

"So you're scared?" She grinned.

"Not at all. I just know he's not into guys and I'd rather not get rejected."

"Yeah, you're right. He's not into girls either though..." Amy picked up a Skittle and bit it in half.

James raised an eyebrow at her.

"He's asexual." She explained. "Aromantic, if you want to get technical."

"Riiiiiight." He scoffed again, resting his elbow on the table as he faced her. "And how would you know that?"

"Just because you don't talk to him, doesn't mean no one else does. I have almost every class with him."

James' eyes widened a bit.

"Seriously?"

"You walk with me to every class. I thought you'd notice." She looked back at him, raising her eyebrow. "You seriously didn't know? For fuck's sake, James, are you blind?"

"It's not like it matters." He shrugged, a tiny bit envious of his best friend. He only had one class with Alex.

Amy sighed as she watched James draw invisible patterns on the table with his fingertip, clearly thinking about Alex again.

"So... Does he talk about me?" James mumbled, not looking up at her.

"Actually, he does every once in a while. He'll say that he likes your hair, or that you're funny. Normal things."

James felt like he had just swallowed a dozen butterflies.

"And he sees you staring at him all the time.." Amy shrugged, spraying pesticides down James' throat and killing every single one.

James nearly choked on the candy he had in his mouth and Amy noticed as he tried to play it off.

"I don't fucking stare at him." James retorted, standing up from the table and slipping his hands into his front pockets. "I need a cigarrette."

"We're on school grounds, there's no way we wouldn't get caught."

James rolled his eyes. Amy was way too prudent for his taste.

"Then we'll just have to go off of school grounds, won't we? I have a car, you know."

"Fine, let's go." She shrugged and stood up as well, balling up the napkin and tossing it into the trash can near their table.

Suddenly, they heard the familiar dinging noise of the school bell.

Amy clicked her tongue disapprovingly.

"Too bad. Maybe another time... Unless you wanted to skip class and go back to my place?" She suggested, tilting her head to the side as she brushed a few blonde hairs back into place.

James thought about his next class, the only one he had with Alex.

"After this class? I can't miss anymore days in it or else I won't pass." He lied. In truth, James hadn't skipped that class once.

Before Amy could think of a rebuttle, James kissed the top of her head and walked off, following Alex out the cafeteria doors.

"Could I really be in love with him?" He thought.

Then he let his eyes trail down the male's body, biting down on his lip as they wandered past the smooth curve of his ass.

James smirked to himself.

"Nahh. I just want to get into your pants."

"WHAT?!"

The voice shocked James out of his thoughts.

Alex's voice.

Fuck.