Stand Proud, Stand Alone

Doppio let out a shaky breath as he regained consciousness. Bruno's body was feeble and weak, barely managing to sustain his life force. He coughed, but no blood came out. Boss was right when he told him not to move an inch.

Mista had only shot him in the leg, the collarbone and the ribcage. In spite of his leader's orders, Mista had only incapacitated him. His resolve had been, for some reason, shaken. Maybe he spared him because he believed Bruno could still be saved. Didn't he know that the capo had already been dying out beforehand?

No, never mind all that. The Boss hadn't called. That means he must be in serious trouble. Through the connection they shared, Doppio could tell where he was and what he was doing. He gulped and cried out.

"BOSS!"

No, he would not let him down. Not now. Not when he probably needed him the most. Even with this broken body, he would do his Boss one last loyal service. For he was his adorable little Doppio.

Diavolo just couldn't believe it. Mere days ago, luck had supported him through every obsticle. Destiny had been on his side. He was fate's champion! But now...but now, two of Bruno's pathetic pets and his daughter, curse her existence, were about to defeat him!

Maybe he should retreat. That wasn't admitting defeat. It was just pragmaticism. He would run away now, leaving them confused, then when they least expected it, he would destroy eliminate them all and seize his throne once more. He was a king. He would remain as such. That was the absolute undeniable truth of this reality!

Then he heard his daughter's words. He saw the image of Giorno holding the arrow up, the sunlight shinning behind him and reflecting off him like a golden aura. Even Diavolo had to admit it was a glorious sight and that only sprouted newborn hatred for the boy - Giorno Giovonna. If it hadn't been for him, Bruno wouldn't have been such a thorn in his side. And now, he possessed the arrow.

'There's no escaping from this...no next time. I'll finish this, here and now!'

But just as he moved to charge at the Giovonna boy...he froze completely, his eyes wide and filled with disbelief.

'This...This vision...!'

Just as Giorno was about to pierce himself with the arrow, someone slammed into him from behind and kicked the arrow away, sending it flying towards Diavolo. Gasps came from everyone as they saw who it was.

"B-Bruno?!" Mista exclaimed, his expression confused and shocked.

"This isn't Bruno-!"

"Heh...Ha ha ha ha...AH HA HA HA HA HAA...You fools!" Diavolo cackled as he held the arrow, grinning truimphently at the trio. His grin widened when he noticed the recognition on his daughter's face.

"Mista, Giorno...this is the boss' other self!"

The Doppio-possessed Bruno panted and collapsed. He had used up all of his remaining strength to run to the Boss' location. It was a wonder his soul hadn't already left Bruno's body, but now it could no longer hold itself in. He felt his life slip away, but even so...he was happy. He had helped the Boss. He was still the Boss' best. He just...needed to hear it from the Boss himself.

"Boss...did I do good? Am I still...your best?"

"Yes, Doppio! You did a splendid job! Thank you, my adorable Doppio! I am so very glad I didn't run away! Were it not for your actions and my daughter's words, I would not have the arrow now!"

"Ari...gato...Bossu..."

Doppio died with a smile, knowing he had served his boss loyally till the bitter end. This was the absolute perfect way to die for the Doppio Vinegar, Diavolo's alter ego.