stupid love

Today is my first day at my new school. I am a senior in high school and I'm really nervous to start. It's October 3rd and I just moved to California with my mom.

It's been a very crazy journey for my mother and I. This is the fourth time that I have to start at a new school. Most things don't work out for us when we move because people aren't welcoming at all.

"Emma! Hurry up! You are going to be late!"

I grab my bag and I run downstairs. There is food on the table, but I'm not hungry at all. I know it's just the nerves.

"Are you going to eat?" She asks.

"No. I don't want anything, sorry."

She smiles, "It's okay, honey. Have a good day and don't worry about what those people say or think of you. Stay strong."

"I know, mom. Bye I love you."

She kisses my forehead, "I love you too."

I grab my car keys and I get into the car. I start my music and I drive to the school that will probably make me have to move again.

[At school]

I walk into the long hallway and to the office. There is an older lady sitting at the desk. She is talking to some other boy.

She looks over at me and says, "You must be Emma."

I smile, "That would be me."

"Well this is Edwin. He is going to show you around today. Edwin has all the same classes as you," she says.

"That sounds great. Thank you very much," I say.

"You are welcome, dear. Now get to class and give this pass to your teacher," she says while handing a paper to Edwin.

We walk out of the office and into the completely empty hallway.

"This place is nice," I say.

"Yea we just redid it about two years ago. Our other school was shit," he says.

"Well this place is nice. It's very big," I say.

"So where are you originally from?" He asks.

"Well I was born in Florida and then I moved to so many other states and here I am now."

"I've never been to Florida. It's really hot there isn't it?" He asks.

"So hot. That's why I'm used to this California weather," I say. "Were you born in California?"

"Actually I was born in New York. My parents and I moved here when I was four," he says.

"That's awesome," I say.

"Well here is our first period class. Most of the kids here are nice, but some are assholes. Just stick next to me," he says. "I'll introduce you to my other friends at lunch. You will love them."

I smile, "Sounds great."

We go into the classroom and Edwin gives the teacher our pass. I follow him to the back of the room and we sit down in the two empty seats. Edwin sits down next to a blonde headed girl and I sit next to Edwin and some girl with black hair.

"We usually do nothing in this class," Edwin whispers. "She always gives us homework and then we just do whatever."

"Sounds easy enough," I say.

[Lunch]

I follow Edwin into the very crowded lunch room. There is kids everywhere and it's so loud. Some of the people are younger, but most of them are older.