Chapter 1

Rose Red stops the car just below the hill that leads to the Valley of the Big Sleepers. I don't care much for her crypticness, but over the years we've grown close again, and I know whatever she's up to, she means well.

I do wish I had better walking shoes, but with the help of my trusty cane I begin my trek up the rocky path, wiggling my heels free when they get stuck in the soft soil.

I reach the top of the hill, which is dotted with bushes and boulders, and a large tree stands in the middle of the hill. As I approach, a shadowy figure is standing against the trunk.

"Huh? Can it be?" I mutter.

I'm still too far to make it out well, but my heartbeat quickens as I recognize the trench coat and slouchy posture of Bigby Wolf.

"Oh, no. Oh my god..."

It is him. After all these years of absence, he's standing there looking at me as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

"Bigby!" I sprint to him, as best as I can with my heels and my unsteady gait, and I crash into him, wrapping my arms around him, determined to hold on forever.

"Hello Snow." His voice is as gruff and delicious as I remember.

"You came back! You're here. You..."

I gasp and hold him at arm's length. Worry begins to damper our perfect moment together.

"Oh, no! You're not allowed to..." I stammer. "You have to go right now! If they catch you on the farm they'll kill you.

"Settle down, Snow," he chuckles. "You're babbling."

"But-" He presses a gentle finger to my lips to stop my talking.

"I know I'm not allowed on the farm, but this isn't the farm."

"Of course it is!"

"Not any longer," he assures me. "From now on, the farm ends where Rose Red dropped you off. This area belongs to me now-- or us if you like..."

"I don't understand." My head is spinning. None of this makes sense, and I'm beginning to worry that I'm having a very realistic dream.

I grip his arm for support, but also to make sure that he's real and that he's not getting away.

"I bought this land from Fabletown in return for ending a war-- or starting one. I guess we'll see... Come on. Take a walk with me. I want to show you a thing or two."

"Wait! There's something I need to-- Bigby did our son find you?"

"Of course." he lets go of me. "Ghost, give your mother a kiss."

A breeze blows and ruffles my hair and my dress, and I'm overwhelmed to be reunited with my son and my Bigby. I can't help the tears that start to stream down my face.

Mommy's crying. Why is she crying Daddy? Did I upset her again?

"Don't worry son. Those are happy tears, not sad ones."

"You named him Ghost?"

"Seemed to fit." He holds my hand reassuringly. "He'll be safe here. He's learned to keep his existence a secret. You and I are the only living creatures who know about him. We'll have to decide when to introduce him to his brothers and sisters.

He begins to lead me away from the border with the farm.

"So now like I said, let's the three of us go for a walk."

"Hold on," I look back and spot my cane forgotten on the grass. " I need to go back and get my cane."

"No you won't need it." He tugs me along, and I follow. "You can lean on me from now on."