Reversed

He was the kind of guy who'd smile at you even if he doesn't know you. He would walk down the hall, a lot of the students waving at him as he returned their gesture because it would seem like he knows everyone. He continuously walks down the hall, a smile on his face even though no one's looking. Nathan's toothy smile and bright attitude always seemed to lighten up anyone's bad mood, or even just a person's normal day. He would be the kind of person you'd want to spend your every-days with because, well, he makes people happy while Olivia on the other hand is his complete opposite.

No one liked Olivia, but no one hated her either; she was the wallflower. She stayed quiet and unsociable, even when people tried to approach her. But little do people know how scared she was of judgement, that they might not like her when she starts to trust someone; she was afraid of attachment and getting hurt in the end. To her, she would rather be alone and worry about herself than start caring for someone who wouldn't just care in the end.

"Olivia," Nathan beamed as he sat on the chair in front of her desk in the empty classroom. "Hi," he said having the straw of his juice in between his teeth, his hair falling just above his eyes. It was lunch time and Olivia wasn't a fan of a chaotic crowd.

Olivia looked up at him for a while before going back to scribbling on her notebook. She couldn't care less about him; she didn't need him to brighten her day up because she was happy by herself.

"Uhm, I just wanted to give you this," he said before handing her a yellow notebook.

She looked up at him again as she lifted her hands to grab the notebook, both holding each end. Nathan's smile grew wider, "I saw it in a bookstore and thought you might like it." Olivia then again looked down, still holding the notebook. Nathan finally realized that he should hand it over to her and muttered a "sorry," as he let go of it. "I just noticed how you liked to draw and scribble stuff on the back page of your notebook during class."

The redness of her face explained how she grew embarrassed of what Nathan said as she shot her head up to look at him again. "Ah, no! I wasn't stalking you or anything," he rubbed the back of his neck, "I just happen to notice when I look at the window."

She nodded with her head down, hugging the notebook as she slightly bowed. A small smile played on her lips. Oh yeah, I'm seated by the window. "Thank you," she mumbled.

Nathan smiled at her wide enough to see every tooth in his mouth. And it wasn't even a few seconds when his friends called him. He stood up and waved at her, "thank you for accepting my friendship invitation! I'll talk to you later," he said running out of the classroom door.

"Nathan," she called after him, but it was too late. "What friendship invitation?" she asked herself.

"Oh, I almost forgot" Nathan poked his head by the door. "You look prettier when you smile," he beamed at her, making Olivia's cheeks turn a shade of pink. "I just thought you should know. Okay, bye," he waved at her again before running off.

-------

The day ended quickly since it was starting to get busy for everyone; graduation was coming near, but Olivia wasn't thrilled about that. College was probably the toughest moment in a person's life. You'll have a hard time catching up with your subjects if you miss one and would repeat at least a term or be delayed if you end up failing your subjects. It would be a lot tougher on her for she wasn't that much of a friendly person.

"Class dismissed," their teacher called it in for the day and the students stood up with their bags lazily hanging over their shoulders. She stood up and fixed her stuff one after the other until she held the yellow notebook that was given to her. She smiled to herself being reminded of how someone would approach her like that.