Star Apple Tree

• Dedicated to To my English teacher :)

Emily: (Sitting under the Star Apple, all alone)
Anna: (Crying after tripping over) “Ow! It hurts!”
Emily: (Stood up and went to help Anna) “Hey little girl, are you alright?”
Anna: “I have a painful wound, so obviously I’m not OK.” (All hurt and grumpy)
Emily: “Oh, come here. Let me help you. You must have played too much, now you’re hurt. We must tell your parents about this.”
Emily: “I don’t have one. As you can see I am just a street child.”
Emily: “Am...OK, I’ll heal your wound myself.” (Smiles at Anna)
Anna: “No thanks, I can handle this. I am not a little girl anyway.
Emily: (Giggles) “No, let me do it.”
Anna: “What are you giggling about?”
Emily: “Are you sure that you’re not a little girl anymore? You must be still like about 6 years old! ” (Giggles off)
Emily: “I consider that as a big girl already. I know how to feed myself; I’m independent and most off all I can survive even if I am alone.
Emily: “Yeah sure. Anyways, I am Emily and I am 32 years old. Now that’s what you call a big girl not little anymore.” (Winks at Anna)
Anna: “I know.”
Emily: “So, what’s your name?”
Anna: “Anna and I won’t even bother telling you my age!” (Snobs at Emily)
Emily: “Don’t worry. I won’t even ask.” (Winks at Anna)
Anna: “Good. Anyways, what do you often do here in the Star Apple Tree?”
Emily: “I just sit; listen to music then watch the kids play. Hearing their voices laugh and see them play makes me happy. It doesn’t get me bored.
Anna: “Don’t you have any kids at home?”
Emily: “I eventually don’t, if I have one then I won’t have to go here all alone. Why do you ask anyway?”
Anna: “Nothing. Mostly I see adults go out to their work than hang out here and watch children play. But you, you’re different. Do you like kids or would you like to have one?”
Emily: “You notice. I can see you’re smart. I go to work on week days not on weekends. Anyways, If God could give me one, if he gives my family one, I would certainly like to.”
Anna: “Why can’t you have one?”
Emily: “I just can’t provide one.” (As tears started to fall off in her eyes)
Anna: “I’m sorry.” (As she holds the hand of Emily)
Emily: “It’s Ok. How do you feed yourself anyway?”
Anna: “I work for it, earning trashes then exchanging it with money. Sometimes, I get my food from the bins. Just hard work and luck.
Emily: “How do you learn to do that?”
Anna: “I got used to it. I was abandoned when I was still five.” (As teary eyes began)
Emily: “Sorry”. (As she hugs Anna)
Anna: “It’s OK.” I hope God will bless you with a child someday, just like he blesses Mary.”
Emily: “Thanks. That’s so nice of you. And you too Anna.”
Anna: “I better go now”.
Emily: “Anna wait!”
Anna: “Yes?”
Emily: “Would you like me to become your mother? I promise I will take a good care of you?” (As she cries)
Anna: (She runs to Emily and gave her a tight and warm hug) “I would love to MAMA.”
Emily: “Thank you Anna!” (As she kisses Anna at the forehead)