Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do now own Girl Meets World, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make money from the writing of this story.

Riley Matthews stood nervously at the steps of Abigail Adams High School, fidgeting with the hem of her fringed white blouse as she waited for her best friend, Maya Hunter, to join her. The two best friends always walked into school together on the first day of a new school year. This was a tradition that they started back in kindergarten and was determined to continue during the final year of high school. This was supposed to be Riley's year of redemption after her junior year ended on such a sour note. She wanted to spend as much time with Maya as possible since they did not spend any time with each other during the last few months of the previous school year and over the summer break.

Riley knew that Maya was not purposely avoiding her. It was just that Maya's life had changed so much in the last few years. Shawn Hunter had moved Katy Hart and Maya into a bigger apartment which meant Maya did not live close enough to Riley to take the subway with her. After Katy and Shawn wedded, they eventually had a little girl. Maya was so happy to have a little sister and spent a lot of time babysitting her. Shawn and Maya had become close and often took her to art shows and had her compete in several art contests. He even paid for Maya to take art classes at New York University. Riley was happy that Maya's life had drastically improved. Unfortunately for Riley, Maya just no longer had the time to hang out with her like she used to.

When Riley spotted Maya across the lawn, Riley was surprised that she looked different. Maya was breathtaking with the way her new Texan tan made her blue eyes and blonde hair stand out. Her hair was perfectly curled around her face and her eyeshadow accentuated her eyes. She was wearing a tight-fitting black dress with a white Peter Pan collar. The dress hugged her hips and showed off her slender legs. The reformed bad girl looked like she stepped out a back-to-school issue of Seventeen magazine. To complement her look, she held her boyfriend's hand as the two walked towards the school.

Riley was surprised that she felt nervous once Maya and her boyfriend waved to her. It had been too long since Riley had been around her friends. She was not sure if she was still the same likable person she was a year ago.

Unlike Maya, Riley's skin was pale and her eyes were dulled from spending the summer locked up in her room. Her summer of isolation allowed her to explore new music, introducing her to 1960s teen-pop and giving her cravings for all things Lesley Gore.

"Riles!' she heard Lucas Friar shout.

He walked up to her, opening his arms as if he wanted to hug her. He seemed so happy and Riley wished she could return the same happy welcome back. She could not. After having her heartbroken by her most recent crush, Riley could never return to her previous happy go lucky self. However, she could not let her friends know what happened so she decided that she was going to pretend that everything was fine.

"Lucas," Riley said, accepting his hug.

She could feel his warmth as she pressed herself against his chest. She hated to admit that she missed him. She wished she had someone she could hold when she was upset. It would be foolish to make herself think about the moments the two shared especially since Riley knew her and Lucas would not have lasted. In her sophomore year, she was determined to live her life as truthfully and unapologetically as possible. If only she would have known that decision was followed by hurt and pain. Now, the seventeen-year-old had matured enough to learn that living a lie was one of the ways that many people shielded themselves from disappointment and pain - the two emotions she felt most of the time.

As Riley hugged her former lover, she felt the presence of a familiar blonde behind her. She released herself from the Texan's grip and turned her attention to the girl she used to spend every waking moment with.