01

____

As the scent of flowers filled the air, the house of the Kims overflowed with commotion.

"Honey, it's good to interact with people. You can't always stay cramped up at home,"

"Physically speaking, I can-"

"Are you talking back to me?"

"No! No! Of course not, mum..." The only child of the Kims, Seohyun, left without saying another word, taking the bouquet of flowers on the table with her.

As their daughter left the room, Mrs. Kim tried her best to look as presentable as possible. Her cheeks were kissed with pink from her blush, while she applied the brightest shade of red on her lips. Mrs. Kim gently patted down her long, floral dress and got ready to meet their new neighbours.

"Don't you think you're overdoing it, mum?" The teenager asked as her mother closed the front door behind her.

"Sweetheart, what kind of lady are you, if you can't look your best for a special occasion?"  She replied, taking another look at her makeup in her hand mirror.

"It's just new neighbours..." Seohyun mumbled under her breath, checking if her mother caught her words. Thankfully, her mother didn't hear her, instead, she was arguing with her father on the phone. For the whole call, the daughter stood there awkwardly as she heard her mother complaining about how her father couldn't bother to show up.

After the call came to an end, Mrs. Kim sighed in frustration. Despite all that, she still managed to force out the biggest and brightest smile when they finally walked over to their new neighbour's household.

Knocking on the door, it was gradually opened to reveal a woman who looked like she was in her 20s. She looked like a celebrity, with her silky brown hair and her big vivid eyes. Seohyun's mother hesitated at first but gave a welcoming smile as she introduced herself to the woman.

"Are these orchids? Oh, how I love orchids! Please do come in!" Taking the bouquet from Seonyun, a sense of joyful energy radiated from the lady as the Kims entered their household. Making their way to the living room, they sat down on the couch as the lady came back with desserts and tea.

"We haven't had any visitors ever since we moved here, so we appreciate your kind gesture," Taking a seat on the couch, Seohyun and her mother bowed as a sign of respect while the lady's smile grew wider

"So where is your mother? Is she working right now?" Mrs. Kim asked while taking a sip of her tea. A small chuckle came out of the woman's mouth, her smile still plastered on her face.

"I am the mother! Nice to meet you, I'm Mrs. Jeon,"