A Girl?

Hey, everyone, a quick disclaimer before you read this story! I use real players to do bad things in this book. I mean no harm or disrespect to those players. They are all great players! If you like them as a player, then please don't get offended if I use them to do something bad. I hope you enjoy this story! I spent so much time on it!

       It's a brand new hockey season! I'm on the Dallas Stars this year! It's crazy because I'm a girl! I can't believe it! The first female NHL player. The first introduction-type practice is today for training camp. The returning players get to meet the rookies, and the rookies meet the other players. It technically wasn't even a practice. I was so excited on the drive there. I wonder what the guys will think about having a girl on the team. I hope it will be ok. Oh, here I am!

        I stepped out of the car and walked towards the door of the practice facility. As soon as I opened the door I saw Coach Montgomery coming towards me.

       "Ah, Skyler!" He said, "Glad you're here! We are going to start talking in a couple of minutes."

       I smiled, "Do the guys know about me yet?"

       He shook his head, "Nope, all I've told them is there are multiple announcements. This is true. There will be a lot of changes this year." I followed him into the room of players and the Ice Girls. I was overwhelmed with joy. 

     This is my team! I can't wait for this year!

     "Ahem, I am going to start by giving you guys some big news." He paused. "We are having a female player!"

     There was silence. Some of the guys were looking at the girls in the room. I felt awkward so I kind of stepped towards Coach. 

     "Everyone, this is Skyler!" I saw some of the guys giving each other a look of confusion. They obviously didn't want me on the team. I didn't blame them. This is a big change for the team, the franchise, and the entire NHL.

     "I don't want to be disrespectful but," Seguin said, "Is adding a girl to the team a good idea. I mean..."

     "Just wait until you see her play!" Coach said trying to reassure them. The players hesitated to let me on the team but gave in. It's not like they had a choice... Coach continued to introduce the players with a smile on his face. He left us to get to know each other a bit. I felt awkward since I was a girl and I was the youngest. I mean I'm eighteen, fresh out of high school. I saw Miro Heiskanen walking towards me. He had to be the second youngest, only twenty. He smiled at me.

     "Hey, Skyler, was it?" He asked.

     "Yes, are you ok with me calling you by your first name?" I asked politely.

     "I don't mind as long as you will let me call you by yours." He said, giving me a little smirk. Then I saw Ben Bishop approaching us. He was a huge guy, and I couldn't help but be a little intimidated. 

     "Hey, I'm Ben!" He said smiling at me. 

     "Hi, it's nice to meet you. I'm Skyler." I returned with a bright smile.

     "Ok, I'm curious," Tyler Seguin said, approaching me, "What do you play?"

     "I play right-winger."

     "Good, so you won't be stealing my spot," He said, giving me a playful nudge. We all laughed, and the four of us started talking about hockey and our families. They added me to the team group chat. The practice was over, and Miro led me to my car. We said our goodbyes, and I drove off. This has been the best day ever! I can't wait for tomorrow's first practice we get to play!