⚜️ [ prologue ]

[notes at the end of the prologue]

↓↓

"It's a boy." The maid announced with a small voice.

The man gasped, hand on his chest.

He looked at the small wrapped creature the maid was holding. His son's face was hidden against her body. The maid had frightful expression on her face. She knew what had to be done.

He had two daughters — 5- and 7-year-olds, and a 10-year-old son. A king wasn't allowed to have more than one son. Daughters were married off to wealthy families from nearby kingdoms. A son was the only heir to his throne.

He could hear small sobs from the room behind the maid. The queen knew.

"Are you going to-" The maid started but then looked down, bowing his head. "Your highness—"

"Let me." He extended his welcoming arms for the baby. The maid was hiding the baby's face on her chest.

"I don't think you should—" She stuttered, holding the baby tightly.

"I should." He said sternly.

The maid looked up at him and covered the baby's face too with the cloth he was wrapped in. She hesitantly handed the baby over after giving the little one a short adoring look.

The king had the little warm boy in his arms. He looked at him in wonder. He wanted to see his son's face even if he knew he shouldn't. He shouldn't get attached.

The maid was trying to suppress herself from sobbing.

He pulled the cloth down from the baby's face, hesitant. Beautiful. Was the first thing in his mind as he looked closely at his son's soft features.

"He looks just like her mother. Sleeping beauty." The maid stopped crying and looked at his king once again. He was having a fond smile on his lips.

"What do you mean, my king?"

"I've decided. I will raise this little one like my daughter. You will watch her closely, teach her to grow into a woman. Tell no one her real identity. Tell my queen but the little one's siblings won't know anything."

The boy grew in grace and beauty, surrounded by his loving parents and siblings. His parents kept him safe, well hidden from the outside world. The boy never left the palace.

Cho, the only maid who knew he was a boy, had become more closer to him than he was to his busy parents. Cho helped him to dress up, taught him the right posture to sit, how to eat and drink when there was guests, how to bow in right angle, raised him like he was a real princess. She was the only one besides his parents who was allowed in his room.

He had realised he was not who he needed to be at the age of 11. The puberty was the worst time for him.

His body started to change more, dresses became difficult to wear, he needed to hide his body more than ever. His body needed to be maintained thin and womanly. Luckily, he had inherited his beautiful and dainty facial features from his mother. Even his older brother was envied for his beauty for a man.

His voice changed, he started speaking less, afraid of getting caught. Later, he learned how to speak with a softer voice that didn't make him sound like a growing man.

His sisters were engaged to wealthy families at the age of 16 while he was getting close to his 18th birthday and his father had never said a word about his engagement, not to him, not to anyone else. People in the palace were wondering about the reason. So were his sisters and the brother.

The boy grew up to be a young 17-year-old woman, beautiful as his mother and sisters.
His name was Taeyong.

❗️contains:
+ angst
+ but lots of cuteness and fluff
+ age gap (jh older by 6 years)
+ very womanly and cute ty
+ mentions of homophobia
+ gender norms
+ cliché
+ short chapters
+ irregular updates

↓↓

if you're not going to vote or comment even once, this book isn't for you. I want to know what all of the readers really think of this story

↓↓

Taeyong will be addressed as she or princess (unless it's Taeyong's pov) before Jaehyun finds out he's a boy. Im not saying that Taeyong's a girl if he's called that in this story. I know he's manly grown up man irl but I had wanted to write this kind of story for so long. I had the idea since august

 I had the idea since august