Chapter 1

"I have to say, Doctor, I am a little... unsure about this trip," the Cardassian admitted, looking intently at his console.

Doctor Bashir let a slight smirk tug at his lips. He looked up from the shuttlecraft dashboard and regarded the alien tailor. "Why, Garak," he said, "Are you nervous?"

Garak looked hurt. Sort of. He smiled at the doctor. "Of course not, dear doctor," he countered simply.

"I believe you, the doctor said with his usual playfulness.

Garak rolled his eyes and continued to focus his attention on the shuttlecraft's functions. But, he knew the vehicle did not require continuous manning. So, he sighed and looked back at the Starfleet officer. He would have to withstand the doctor's scrutinising stare. "Was there anything else, doctor?" he finally asked.

Bashir shook his head. "You still sound... incredulous, Garak," he declared.

"Oh, I do apologise," Garak said with his usual calmness, "for sounding 'incredulous'."

Bashir gave him a wry smile. "I was thought you would be a bit more excited about this," he admitted, sounding and looking a little sad.

Garak smiled softly. "I am excited, doctor. But, having lived in this universe for so long has taught me not to get too excited," he told the doctor.

Bashir nodded, albeit with slight reluctance. "I thought it would be fun."

"Fun would be using the holosuites," Garak said simply. He noticed Bashir's downcast expression. "But, this is more than interesting."

"I hadn't chosen the holosuites because, well... Firstly because of Quark, and secondly because you're always complaining about them," he reminded Garak.

Garak frowned. "I am?"

he asked, incredulous.

Bashir nodded firmly. "You're always saying how they're so inaccurate."

"Hmm," Garak murmured.

"I knew this was a bad idea," Bashir muttered, cursing himself.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, my dear doctor," the Cardassian tried to reassure him. "I have indeed heard that this is a rather impressive planet," he added.

Bashir nodded in agreement. "I hope you're right."

"When am I ever wrong?" Garak challenged, a glimmer of mischief in his eyes.

Bashir shook his head laughingly and focused on landing the runabout.

"Speed down to 700 miles am hour," he announced.

Garak nodded. "Oh... Doctor?" he said. "I'm detecting an anomaly."

"An anomaly?" The Cardassian's voice betrayed no worry, so the doctor was force to ask him to elaborate.

"Yes... Some sort of turbulence," Garak answered, scanning the runabout's readings.

Bashir, too, was carrying out analysis checks on the odd occurrence. "I agree," he proclaimed, and then his eyes widened in terror. He reined in the anxiety as his Starfleet and genetic engineered brain kicked into action. "Garak, are you seeing this?"

Swiftly, the tailor nodded. "I am, and it does not look good," he said bluntly.

As soon as the words had left his mouth, both he and Bashir were forced into silence. The runabout shook violently as it became overwhelmed with the tsunami-like wind. The air rushed past them like speeding horses in an Old Earth chariot race. It howled and hollered.