Thank You, Sincerely Me

I walk through the empty halls of Fairmount Elementary school one last time. My hands tighten around the straps of my drawstring bag. I take a few deep breaths and ready myself. Then I bolt. I run as fast as my legs will carry me. I run out the door of the colored Elementary school and towards Shelby’s house and reach inside my bag for the small painted box with only 1 tassel on it. My hand reaches it as I near the house, and without hesitation I rip the box from the bag, drop it in the yard, and keep running up and down the streets of the city, dropping boxes as I go. My breath gets heavy and my legs quiver as my next stop comes into view. I use the very last bits of energy I have and sprint to the spot I should be meeting Emily at. I near the building and I allow my legs to slow a bit as I search for the other half of this insane operation. Soon I see Emily, her blonde hair up in a messy pony like mine, wearing galaxy leggings and a tie-dye shirt. She looks about as exhausted as I am. She begins to walk towards me and I slow my jog into a walk.

“Get everyone?” I ask between gasps.

“Think so. Did you?”

“Every last one. This was a lot easier when it was on paper, ya know.”

She gives me an amused smile. We are suddenly standing side by side, walking towards the meeting point. We near the steps and I instantly plop down and slide the bag from my shoulders. Emily sits next to me, and we sit in silence for a few minutes. A burst of energy shoots through me as I think of our plan, and I instantly spring up and extend an arm for Emily. For a split second, she just stairs at me, but then she stands too and together we walk into the wonderous place.