OLIVIA

"Villain Red or Brown Goddess?" I ask my room mate of four years Julia.

I'm glancing at my reflection through my fancy makeup table mirror that's lined with little light bulbs all around. It has been with me in college and now in this small apartment in New York. It reminds me of the glory days back when I was the queen of high school. It seems so far away that this mirror is like a monument of a past life I keep taking with me.

"With that dress, definitely Villain Red" Julia says confirming my thoughts.

I pop the lid off and screw the lipstick up. I put the dark red on my full lips, pressing them together twice to perfect it.

"Don't be nervous, Liv" Julia says before leaving the room. "He can't be worse than Evan"

"No, I'm fine" I say happily. "I think he might actually be a potential boyfriend"

"Fingers crossed"

Julia closes the door behind her and I gaze at myself in the mirror again.

"You can do this" I say to myself and pace around my room waiting for him to call me to let me know he's here.

I fix my red satin dress so it'll show less cleavage and pull my blonde hair up and then decide against it.

I check my phone constantly and then decide to call him myself.

The ringing goes on and on, until it hits his voicemail.

Oh no, no, no. Please god no.

I sit on my neatly made bed with my leg shaking. I catch myself biting my nails again and stop myself. I'm staring at his contact info and call him once more.

"Hello?" A squeaky woman's voice answers. It sounds as if she's in a loud club.

"Who is this?" I ask confused.

"It's Regan, Luke's girlfriend. Who are yo—?" She snaps but I hang up, letting my phone drop from my ear to the wooden floor.

I can feel my throat tingling and eyes watering. I try to contain it and not let him forever stain my New Year's Eve but it doesn't help. I've been through so much this year, I honestly believe I'm going to never find anyone.

If this moment is an sign for the year to come, I don't know how I'll manage.

I wipe my tears that stain my fingers with black mascara. I start taking off my black heals one by one and fall back on my bed staring at the fan going round just zoning myself out.

My phone vibrates on the bed making it seem like there's an earthquake. I look at the screen that reads 'Georgia' and let out a breath and answer.

"Hey, Georgi" I say with my voice raspy from crying.

"Liv! Where are you?" She says slurring clearly drunk. "Are you skipping out of your turn to do the dare?"

"I'm at home. I told you I'm not coming to the firm New Year's Eve party"

I hear yelling and before I know it someone else has the phone.