2 Major Types of Golf Course Mowers and how to Choose Them

The magnificent view of a golf course attracts everyone's attention at first sight. Evenly trimmed green turf area spread across a large land space is really fascinating. For attaining perfection in golf course maintenance, mowers play a key role. These are the grass trimming equipment meant for perfectly resizing the length of grass according to the requirement of different areas. Apart from , aerators, dethatchers, sprinklers and utility vehicles are also necessary but everything comes after mowing. If you search in the market, numerous models of mowers will confuse with their specifications. Therefore, it becomes difficult for the first time buyer to decide what to consider and what not. This article has some information to help you in classifying mowers of golf course into two basic categories. Scroll down for gaining more information.

Understanding golf course mowers on the basis of their mechanism

Here we are classifying mowing equipment according to their mechanism of cutting. There are two kinds of mechanisms to trim the grass i.e.

Reel mowing

Rotary mowing

Both of them differ on the basis of their extension blades that work distinctively. Gain complete information regarding both of them in the article below.

Reel Mowers

As you can see in the above image, it is a cylindrical shaped attachment that revolves forward horizontally to trim the grass

As you can see in the above image, it is a cylindrical shaped attachment that revolves forward horizontally to trim the grass. These attachments are equipped with different sets of blades that can be 3, 5 or seven. When the reel moves, its blades precisely trim the grass with utmost perfection. It is the traditional way of turf maintenance. You can see reels on manually operated mowers in parks and personal gardens. When it comes to a large area like a golf course, you need something that works fast. That is why vehicles capable of running up to 5 reels altogether are available in the market. Here is a list of reel mower's features that you should know:-

The reels are capable of trimming grass more precisely as compared to any other technology available in the market. It is suitable in areas like fairway and tees.

For attaining high-level perfection, you have to compromise with speed. It works perfectly but the speed is slow.

Reel attachments need proper maintenance because the blades may damage on a rough surface.

Rotary Mowers

The blades of rotary movers rotate horizontally like a chopper to trim the grass from the ground

The blades of rotary movers rotate horizontally like a chopper to trim the grass from the ground. The machines supporting rotary attachments comes much later than reels. Still, they are widely popular for trimming grass in golf courses, parks. Moreover, the rotary mechanism is also perfect for the eradication of weeds at a mass level. Here are some significant features of rotary mowers you should know:-

Rotary mowers work very fast as compared to reels because they basically chop grass horizontally.

You cannot use rotary mower for precise trimming. However, it is useful in areas like rough and greens.

Rotary blades require less maintenance.

Final verdict

The information in the above article is clearly illustrating the significance of both mowing machines. If you are managing a golf course, mowers of both mechanisms are necessary. There are some areas like fairway and tees where you cannot let the grass length more than 0.38 to 0.45 inches. Only reels can work here perfectly. On the other hand, you can keep the length between 1.0 to 1.25 inches in roughs. If you try to trim the area of the fairway with a rotary mower, it may cause damage to the roots.

While searching for, never forget to check these mechanisms. Also, prefer a renowned brand because inferior tools cannot give you satisfactory results after the completion of job.