Chapter 1

Well Hello to all you readers! I just wanted to let you know this will closely revolve around Shin-ae, Kousuke, Shin-Hye, Sang-Chul, and Yeong-gi. I will try to add the other characters in, but they will not be as prominent. I' going to try to make each upload 1,000 words each. Also, this is my first time doing this, so I'm apologizing in advance.

Shin-Ae POV: 

 Being back at work after the party and after-math is quite weird. I cannot stand to see Sang-Chul looking so smug around the office. It is time to put his work to a stop. I set up my phone to record our conversation and walked into Sang-Chul's office. I glanced at his desk and recognized a jester mask from the first business party I went to with Rika and Maya. Anger burned inside me. The jester, Sang-Chul, had drugged my drink at that party. I took a photo of the mask as further evidence. Sang-Chul crept up behind me and breathed down my neck. I swung around and he calmly offered me a drink. 

"No thanks. Seeing that it's probably drugged like the rest of mine. A terrible ice breaker, taking advantage of people. Don't you think?"

He seemed confused, but I knew it was a false front so I continued to speak. 

"Whenever I turned my back on my cup or left it unsupervised, it was tampered with. Then, whoever drinks it suddenly goes to La-La land and becomes heavily drugged."

Sang-Chul decided to stay quite, but I spoke up again.

"You must have been the jester that night. The one who spiked my first drink."

He seemed to drop his innocent act because he said, 

"Indeed, if only you had stayed my assistant. We would've spent an abundance of time together. It would have been most enjoyable. Well for me at least."

Jayce, Kousuke's ex-assistant, called for Sang-Chul. He turned and uttered a goodbye. I brought my phone out of my pocket and stopped the recording. I smiled to myself, knowing soon, he wouldn't be hurting anyone. I went back to my office and finished my work for the day. Kousuke offered me a ride home and I accepted. He had a valet pull his cherry red Lamborghini up to the building's entrance. We drove in a familiar silence to my apartment. As I got out, Kousuke seemed preoccupied with something out the window. I closed the door and waved goodbye. As I stood there, a flash of worry crossed his face. But as soon as it was there, it was gone. I turned, unfazed, and walked inside. I trudged up the stairs, exhausted from work and stumbled into the apartment. I thought I heard a noise coming from the terrace, but my father was at the rehab center, and I was home alone. 

I ventured further inside to find my cat, Little Buddy, growling at the terrace door. I glanced outside and saw the silhouette of a young girl. I grabbed a pan from the kitchen and slammed it against the mysterious person. I then proceeded to use the next half-hour to drag the limp body into my bathroom. She seemed to have gained consciousness because a picture slipped through the crack below the door and a rough yet feminine voice spoke. 

"Shin-ae, I- I'm your sister. You'd know me as Shin-Hye. This photo- it's the last one I have of you. It was taken just before mom and dad split up. We were about 4 and 6. I came to tell you that mom had an accident and isn't doing so great."

Her voice broke. I stood there speechless. How could she be my sister? This photo and park seem vaguely familiar, but I don't want to believe her. Shin-Hye spoke up again.

"How about I pick you up from work tomorrow. The Hirahara Company, correct?"

I was unsure about how she knew I worked there, but after a moment of shock, I responded with a yes and flung open the door. She was just like me, Auburn hair and piercing red eyes. She was lean and more muscular and had dad's features. We stood there in stillness just looking at each other. We ended in an embrace, lingering for a sad extra second. As if we knew this was one of the few occasions we could do so. However, I knew she had to leave.

"Um, I- well, I'll see you tomorrow."

Just like that, my so-called sister disappeared into the dark only recognized by the shine of the gleaming moon. 

I could barely comprehend what had happened that evening. Too much had happened and I didn't want to think of my sister and hospitalized mother. I creaked open the door to my bathroom and turned on the shower. After it warmed up, I stepped into the steam and heat and inhaled the warm air. I wondered what had become of my mother and how she was. I was angry that even Alyssa knew more of my mom than I did. I stood there, motionless, as I let the water stream down my face and down my body, falling toward the drain. I eventually finished and shuffled out of the shower. The feeling of cool air colliding with my hot face seemed more real than my sister and what had become of the night. 

I got changed into a tee-shirt and shorts and washed my face. I thought back to the time Kousuke told me to smile more. I looked at my sleepy, empty face and began to laugh. Soon enough, the laughter turned to tears. I cried for my father and for my distant mother and sister. For my friends, Maya and Rika, because we have grown further and further apart. For Yeong-gi because of the guilt placed on his shoulders and the stress my presence had caused. For Kousuke because I've brought trouble to him, his family, and business. And lastly, for myself. I have felt so alone and broken for a while. I was almost taken advantage of and recovered with only a concussion. The only thing that has kept me going is caring for my father and his words, everything will be okay. Without my father, I have no one to turn to. Or do I? I picked up my phone, raced through my contacts, and dialed his number. I didn't even think that it was past midnight and he was most likely asleep. It hadn't even rung once before we were connected. I heard a tired, muffled hello and my voice cracked as I said,

"Kousuke..."