Prologue

Every mistake comes with a lesson. We must try learn from our mistakes to become better people. Though, how we change is truly up to us.

"Mom, should I go with the blue or the pink to compliment the grey?"

"Well, the blue would look better to compliment the yellow on the comforter." I reminisced over this for a few seconds and then decided.

"I'll get the pink one." I said as I picked up the fleece bean bag chair.

        It had been about 2 months since I graduated high school. I had applied to three schools and was accepted into all three. Since one of them was the college my mother had graduated from, I leaned more towards that. My mother, being the teacher she was, wanted me to experience the most out of college and influenced me to dorm even though the college was about a 20 minute drive away.

        My dad on the other hand, strongly disagreed with me moving into the dorms. Since my parents were divorced it made reasoning with him a lot more difficult. He thought my mom was making the decision for me and that I was incapable of deciding what was best me. This lead to a lot of talks whenever I visited him. He would always suggest driving me to college, which in my case was not an option. My dad would leave at 5 in the morning and get home at 6 in the afternoon. Personally, I didn't like the idea of waiting around on campus the whole day. In the end he finally accepted the fact that I was going to live on campus, but still mentioned the idea of living at home from time to time. 

        My mom wanted me to be as prepared as possible before actually moving into the dorms so we were now at Kohl's buying dorm furniture. As much as I sounded irritated with the small amount of choices, she stood by me patiently offering suggestions from the selection. After finally deciding what to get, we made our way to the cashier. Seeing what we were purchasing, she commented on it asking if I was moving out for college. We made small talk about what college I was attending and what I was majoring in. After the short conversation with the sales clerk, I helped carry the things to the car with my mom. 

 "Rose, you're going to like living in a dorm. It will present you with a new sense of freedom and independence. Don't mind what your father says, because it's your choice and nobody else's." My mom stated as soon as we got into the car.

"I know mom. I already made my choice. I decided a while ago that I wanted to dorm, because it will help me focus on school. Even if dad doesn't like the idea of me living in the dorms, it won't change my mind on what I want to do." I responded.

        The dorms that I would be moving into were suite styled. There would be 7 rooms in the suite with 9 people living in it. All of the rooms were single with the exception of one triple. I managed to use some of the money from my college fund that my Grandmother saved for me towards a single room. I wanted some privacy and a place that I could call my own, at least for the year. Everyone living in the suite was sent emails with our contact information attatched so that we could text one another before we met each other. I sent the first group message to get to know everyone. Also so I would know what everyone would bring for public use, as in cleaning supplies and whatever everyone could use.

       We arrived home fairly quickly, because Kohl's was less than 5 miles from our house. I helped bring in the bags and set them down in the living room.

        My mom bought the house when I was going into 8th grade. It was a condo attached to our neighbor's houses. There was a small patio in front of the house that had a potted garden containing peppers and flowers. The inside of the house was cozy, but open, making it look larger than it actually was. There were 3 bedrooms. One that I called my own, my brother's shared a room and then my mom shared the master bedroom with her boyfriend of 9 years. We had two dogs, two cats and a hamster to keep everyone company. 

All of my stuff was already packed for the move. Everyone was moving into the dorms on Friday, just two days away. My scheduled time was early in the morning. I was planning to clean the rest of my room for today and then spend the next day with my best friend, Alice. My mom and her boyfriend, John, would help me move into the dorms and then I would start school on Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided to do something new! I hope you'll like it! I'll try to put some more in it soon. Let me know what you think! Please comment, vote, or/and follow :)