~~~

Shadow stared at his half full glass of wine on the table. The room was dark, the only light being the tall wax candles on the table in front of him. He smiled sweetly as he listened to a blue hedgehog that was seated across from him ramble about stuff he had found in a shopping mall, or something. Sonic tended to do this often, and Shadow seemed to find that he enjoyed these moments of just peace over anything in the world.

In truth, the striped hedgehog wasn't really paying attention to exactly what he was saying. He was just watching his blue companion, how he used his hands in an almost comical matter to explain what he was talking about. Shadow rested his head on his palm, the little smile never leaving his face as he took another sip from his glass.

He'd fallen so hard.

So, so hard.

"Hello? Mobius to Shadow?" Sonic waved his hand gently in front of the other's face with a small chuckle. "You okay there, bud?"

"I'm sorry," Shadow started, lifting his head from where it had rested. He never let the smile leave his face as he smoothly continued. "I just, can't stop staring at you." 

The blue hedgehog panicked. He brought his hands to his face swiftly, then smoothed out his quills.

"Ah, crap! I knew my spines were sticking up. I'm so sorry, I thought I-"

Shadow chuckled quietly, cutting Sonic off before he could say anything else. His chuckle turned into full on laughter, a deep and hoarse sound that filled the room. Soon enough he collected himself, a small smile returning to his face. He took another steady sip from his glass before explaining himself.

"No, your quills are fine. It's just-" he paused for a moment. "You're just so captivating."

"What?"

"Every time I look at you, I get lost. Everything about you is just so intriguing to me. You are so incredibly handsome, and so strong- but you've always been really gentle with me. I used to think you were rather obnoxious and loud, but now I think I realize why everyone has such a strong respect for you. It blows my mind. How you have all that power and social highness, yet you've never ever abused it. Everything about you is absolutely perfect." He paused, seeming to mull over something in his head before continuing. "But sometimes I wonder how someone as heroic as you ended up with someone like me." The striped hedgehog took a sip of his wine with the last word. He still had a lop-sided smile on his face, accompanied by a light tint of pink dusting his cheeks.

Sonic didn't know what to say, and Shadow didn't either.

Both hedgehogs sat at the table with the pleasant sound of whatever music playlist was playing in the background. They just sort of stared at each other, one in disbelief and one filled with a mix of admiration and compassion. It wasn't rare for Shadow to pay Sonic a genuine compliment, but this was something he didn't really do often. He was trying to be open, but at the same time couldn't be bothered to figure out an excuse for staring at the other. Plus, he enjoyed the reaction he got.

"I don't know what to say..." Sonic started, hesitating over his next words. "thank you, but I'm not all you crack me up to be. I don't care what you say, you are completely worth it. We're equals. Honestly, you're more of a hero than I am. You had such a horrible set of traumas that continued to get worse, and here you are, saving the day again. You, amor, are my world. And I don't want to hear you doubting yourself ever again, thankyouverymuch." He reached across the table and grabbed Shadow's hand with his own. he moved his thumb in a circular motion around the other's knuckles. A soft smile graced both their lips, neither of them wanting to converse anymore.

Both hedgehogs smiled contently as they sat and listened to music, neither of their hands leaving the gentle grip of the other's.

"Chaos, I love you."

"I love you too, you big goof."