Chapter One: The Moon of Chaos

The Year of 1945

"I will die as a man before I die as the enemy's pet," prayed Mayhem Fallin, under his breath. After celebrating the town's Halloween festival and telling many spooky stories to scare little children for hours, Mayhem quickly rushes to tie a knot on the highest branch on a tree he could climb in the forest that was a few miles away from the town of Blackthorn. He knew something or someone was coming for him when he saw the full moon, shining a bright red color. The secret Mayhem has kept for many centuries would come to light if he does not put an end to it tonight. He thought killing himself would end his misery and trouble with his underworld friends or more like his enemies. He prayed that no one would be in the woods tonight but knowing it was Halloween...young adults are bound to be out to play tricks on each other. He ties a noose around his neck as he closed his eyes, feeling the unwanted rage growing inside him.

"Please let me go..." he whispers to himself feeling a cold familiar presence appear around him. A malicious laugh escaped from one's lips, as he could hear the wind pick up speed. The power the person possessed was oddly new which feared  Mayhem even more.

"Please...God." Mayhem whisper to himself while gripping on the noose. "Brother, that's foolish to even call on his name...you are his born enemy's pet," said Kaelle, Mayhem's younger brother while looking up from the ground. Kaelle stood in a foggy mist, wearing a long black trench coat while his dark brown curly hair covered his forehead. He smirks staring up at his lonesome and pathetic older brother. Mayhem's eyes struck with fear and reacting on impulse to jump off the branch immediately.

Kaelle rose his right hand upward in the air, stopping Mayhem from jumping off the tree. "Not so fast." He says, stepping closer as Mayhem struggles to breathe with the noose now tighten around his neck. His legs dangled. Kaelle was tickled at how much Mayhem frequently twisted and turned to loosen the grip.

"Now you want it loose? May, I haven't seen you in over a century...I'm convinced that you are running away from me instead of fighting." Teased Kaelle. Mayhem managed to break his fingers between the rope and his neck and began to speak, "Because I will never tell you where Reyah is keeping my child. I know the powers you now hold...I can feel it wavering off of you, brother." Mayhem says with a struggle to breathe.  Kaelle nods his head, "Glad to know your senses still work after so long of being a mutt." 

"Those warlocks will use you, Kaelle. They tinker with the magic of all kinds..." Mayhem replied.

Kaelle chuckled, "Right...they've been more loyal than you ever been to your own family, big brother." 

Mayhem continues to dangle and fit his fingers in the noose, "I didn't mean any harm...and you know that!" 

Kaelle sarcastically acts surprise, "After you leave me to deal with our father's death and the warlocks coming at me for years for your misdoings, something had to give. You betrayed the Black Knights when you fell in love with the master warlock's daughter. Not only that but you made a child with her. The very first half breed, wolf and witch, together. Being that...she could rule the underworld alongside with me. Warlocks and Black Knights have come to peace now..."

"It would have to take heaven and hell to touch for me to believe that. They killed our mother for power and took out half of our Knights to outnumber us back then...how can you trust them?" Mayhem questioned Kaelle.

Kaelle responded, tightening the noose around Mayhem's neck, using only a wave of his fingers. "Correction, your mother, I never liked the woman and how she treated my mother back then and how could you say that? You blindly went behind Father and I's back to have puppy love with our enemy's whole daughter. What makes you think what you did was any better than what I'm doing now to survive?" Mayhem could only stare down at Kaelle.

The noose tightens around Mayhem's neck, "Looking at you now in this position is giving me so joy much because this is how I felt every day before you ruined your life. Now I'm gonna ask you as I've always years ago, where is Reyah hiding little Reign?"

Mayhem spits on Kaelle's face as he stayed quiet. "Never telling you." Kaelle whipped his face irritatingly as he used the magic he was given from the warlocks to twist Mayhem's leg. "Big brother, I'm running out of time with you. The last resort is killing you and Reyah in order to find that baby. She is what the underworld is depending on and you're being really difficult." 

"I'm not saying a word because I know you're going to use my child for something way worse for when the time comes. I do not want her apart of any of the warlocks' nor your evil doings. Leave me be, brother!" Mayhem pleaded as he groaned in pain, trying to keep himself from shifting into his wolf form. 

Kaelle lifted his eyebrow showing his famous smirk, "Oh that just hurts my heart...I am going to be the best-protecting uncle to Reign, showing her ways to better this filthy world and probably hand her over to the warlocks' upcoming heir, of course when she's old enough to marry. I need to have all the power beside me as possible." He says.

Mayhem's eyes flashed a blood-red glow as he stares down at his brother in anger, "I will kill you before you even attempt to make steps towards my child." Kaelle laughed at his all of sudden power to rise. He looks up at the night sky as the dark gray clouds revealed the shining full moon. "Right but look at who is strapped around a noose and who is holding so much power right now...anyways I like this game of us...playing cat and mouse, I find you but you just keep running. Funny that today is Halloween and so many children are out trick or treating tonight. They wouldn't want to find a dead man's body hanging in the woods because that would really put a scare in them."

Not knowing where Kaelle was going with the thought, Mayhem began to burn with even more rage and his body began to shift into the body size of a dire wolf. This was something Mayhem could not control on his own. His beloved Reyah was the only person to use her magic to simmer his shifting from happening during the full moons. Now without her, he is nothing but a mutt.

"What are you doing, Kaelle?" groaned Mayhem as he attempted to rip the noose from his neck. "I'm listening...for them..." Kaelle says shushing his brother and putting his finger to his ear. Then there was laughter from a group of teenage children. They could hear their goofing around and scaring each other as they made their way deeper into the woods.

"Brother, this would cause you so much pain if you were to shift now and kill those innocent children...one by one." Kaelle laughs, "You'd pretty much kill yourself over the fact you have killed them just because of the person that you are...I'll set you free but when the time comes I will be searching for your little one." The noose was snapped apart from Mayhem's neck as he fell to the wet mushy ground. He looks up at Kaelle, "Please...I don't want to do this..." he pleaded. Kaelle kicks Mayhem in the jaw, "Unless you tell me where Reyah is keeping the baby...you will be the big, bad wolf that terrorized the city of Blackthorn County."

Mayhem stared at his delusional little brother with pity then looking down at the wet muddy leaves. Kaelle chuckled under his breath and kneel down to his level, "Oh, brother you're weak, just give up when you can...good luck," he says before disappearing into the misty fog. Mayhem dug his nails into the ground trying to cease the painful transformation. One by one, his bones shifted and popped out of place into the shape of a dire wolf.

The laughter of the teenagers came closer to the woods. "No...please go away!" Cried Mayhem as his spine broken him down onto all fours. He cried and cried under his breath, "Go away...go away...I don't want to hurt you..."

"You guys heard that?" Questioned one of the children. 

To be continued... thanks for reading!

Comment, vote, and share. 💙💙