02. Portkey and Predictions

"And what about that Ravenclaw lad?" her mother asked, her voice light but probing

"Roger Davies?" Fiona felt her cheeks warm and gripped her cup a little tighter. "He's nice. We've talked a few times, but it's nothing serious."

Her mother hummed thoughtfully. "Captain of the Quidditch team, a prefect... He seems like a good lad. It wouldn't hurt to get to know someone like him better, don't you think?"

Fiona set her cup down with a soft clink, a hint of frustration bubbling up. "Mum, we're just friendly acquaintances. He's not interested in me like that." She hesitated, then added quietly, "And I don't think he ever will be."

Her mother was silent for a moment. "Maybe he just needs time to see what I see," she said gently. Fiona opened her mouth to argue, but her mother continued, her voice soft but insistent. "You're growing up, love. Soon, you'll be out of Hogwarts, and I just want to know you've got someone by your side."

Fiona felt a twinge in her chest. "I'll be fine. I don't need a boyfriend to take care of me."

"I know you're strong, Fiona. But someone like Roger—steady, dependable—could be good for you. We won't always be here."

Fiona's throat tightened. "I can take care of myself, Mum."

Her mother's hand found hers on the table, giving it a gentle squeeze. "I know, dear. But it would put my heart at ease to know you weren't alone."

Before Fiona could respond, the familiar sound of footsteps echoed from the hallway. The door creaked open, and Amos Diggory's booming voice filled the kitchen. "Good morning, family!"

Fiona exhaled, grateful for the shift in the atmosphere. Her mother stood up, the conversation drifting away with the comforting clinks of cups and plates as she bustled about preparing breakfast.

Cedric shuffled into the room moments later, still half-asleep but already reaching for the tea his mother handed him. Fiona smiled to herself, feeling the warmth of the familiar routine wrap around her.

"What of the Weasley boys? Molly's always asking after you," her mother teased, her tone light again as she set a plate down in front of Cedric.

Fiona shook her head, rolling her eyes. "Mum..."

Before Fiona could respond further, her father chimed in, his voice hearty and full of energy. "Have you two got everything ready?" he asked, already tucking into his breakfast. "We've got a trek ahead of us."

Cedric and Fiona groaned in unison, their protest a harmonious echo.

"A trek? Why not just fly to the World Cup? I could ride with you or Cedric," Fiona suggested, hopeful.

"Ah, no, no! The risk of muggles spotting us is too great!" Amos countered with a grin.

"The muggles? They wouldn't notice a hippogriff on their roof! Fiona here has a keener eye than any muggle," Cedric teased, nudging Fiona gently. Despite her best efforts to stay composed, a small giggle escaped her. Their mother, however, shot Cedric a look sharp enough to silence any further joking.