Small Trouble

I wanna thank ExperimentZero for editing this fic. Thanks a lot!

Castiel was a really serious child. A damn serious child. When the angel turned to this small five-year old kid, Dean thought, or hoped, that Cas would be a cheerful, excited, energetic child that would make their lives difficult. But that just wasn't the case. Cas was the most serious, quiet, and calm child that Dean had ever seen. Yes, the hunter knew that Cas remembered everything about his past, which was quite unpleasant, but a kid should have no worries right? Enjoy the present. Jump around, yell and scream, play games. Cas wasn't like that. Cas was ever normal.

It was a witch hunt that Dean and Sam had planned, and Castiel decided to join them. The witch was too damn powerful. Some would say almost as powerful as Rowena was, not that he wanted to find out for sure. The witch had them coughing blood on the ground in seconds, with only Cas being able to escape from her spell and run after her. All Dean knew was that, according to Cas, he managed to cut her deeply-that was also why he and Sam weren't under her spell anymore- and then she said something in Latin, a spell of some kind that seemingly removed his grace. A spell to make him a small kid, a human kid.

Dean had found Cas, almost an hour later, curled up into a ball, into his now large shirt, crying, scared. If Dean hadn't seen the trench coat thrown close to Cas and the blue tie loose around him, he would think he was a random lost child. Cas was crying so hard that he couldn't even talk to him. “Cas?” Dean had asked, only to get a loud whimper and the kid to look into Dean's eyes.Yup, it was him. He recognized those bright, blue eyes anywhere. Dean picked him up carefully, only to notice that Cas' shirt was wet, and not only by his tears. The embarrassment in his eyes said it all. The hunter just kissed his forehead and reassured him everything would be fine as they returned to the car to make their way to the bunker. Sam was driving this time.

Cas later told them everything and how scared he was they wouldn't ever find him. How he didn't remember their phone numbers and how he wouldn't find them with their fake names even if he managed to find a grown up. He told them how he felt scared for the first time. How dark the night was, how big the bugs suddenly seemed, and how cold he felt.

Dean could understand the small angel's feelings. After all, he was a kid once. However, Cas hadn't. According to him, Castiel was a grown up angel in less than three days. He had told him that before the world was corrupted, the angels had some kind of physical form and that he was a kid for three days. Not that it mattered. Cas wasn't an angel kid, he was human now. And no matter how hard he and Sam would try and find the witch, she had gotten away. There was no way to reverse the spell. Not even Rowena knew how to reverse it. The deaging spell was older than she could remember.

And here they were, stuck with the most serious kid in creation. Dean felt like he was going to lose it. He knew that kids like Cas existed. Kids that seemed all thoughtful and worried. But these kids were mostly coming from a family with strict parents. Parents that didn't seem to even want to have kids. Parents that yelled and screamed. Sam could have been that kid if he hadn't Dean. But Dean was a GREAT parent. He was always good with kids. Always up to make them laugh, always up to make up games and fairytales. Always up to make everyone have the time of their lives. But nothing worked with Cas.

“What is he? Depressed? He can't be. He is a kid, he shouldn't feel any worry. It's not natural. I tell him to play, to buy some ice cream, and he tells me he wants to sleep! Freaking sleep!” Dean said, frustrated, one day. He couldn't take it anymore. “I know he's still Cas, but I can't make him happy even in that form?” Dean said obviously hurt.

“You need to calm down, Dean. I know it's hard but you have to accept that he is who he is. Be thankful he has a toy that he's attached to,” Sam said staring at his laptop.